Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Remotely cold booting a vPro using KVM resolves network to half-duplex

idata
Employee

Cold boots remotely using the vPro KVM and VNC Plus keeps the network adapter at half-duplex (10.0 Mbps) on a gigabit adapter. Subsequent reboots do not correct this issue and stays at half-duplex.

However, performing a remote reboot with VNC Plus disconnected momentarily during the reboot process DOES put the network back on 100.0 Mbps (on a 100 Mbps network). Subsequent reboots when the network is resolving correctly at 100.0 Mbps will stay at the correct speed. (I have not yet checked a gigabit connection). The problem arises again when the machine is powered off and back on.

Specs:

VNC Plus

DQ57TM (BIOS 86A)

Windows 7 x64 Korean

Thanks,

Brian Lee

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Same problem here -- at two different sites. It looks like AMT forces the NIC to 10Mbps when the system is off and allows autonegotiation during boot. If the KVM session is active, the NIC remains at 10Mbps.

Rick

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If you initiate a connection that 10mb half duplex is maintained until the connection is dropped (where the NIC will when re-auto negotiate the link at a higher speed).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If that's the case, is there a way to force the NIC to autonegotiate at 100.0 Mbps down at the hardware/BIOS level? I know the NIC goes into powersaving mode @ 10.0 Mbps to listen for magical packets (WOL) but I always have to reboot the machine every time to negotiate at the highest possible speed. I'm trying to create a remote server setup with no necessary intervention at the computer's site. Can this be looked into on the DQ57TM mobo?

0 Kudos
Jacob_G_Intel
Employee

There's no way to force it to a faster speed when it's off or sleeping. And, once you have a KVM (or SOL or IDER) session open it can't renegotiate. If it did, most likely the connection would drop.

What you could do instead is use a tool like/docs/DOC-1767 Remote Power Control Util to perform the wake up. This way it wakes w/o KVM connected, allowing it to negotiate a faster speed. Once its up, then connect with VNC Viewer Plus.

0 Kudos