Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

SR1550AL/S5000PALR Won't Post (SOLVED)

idata
Employee

This is a continuation of a previous discussion with the same title marked as "Answered". Hmmm - not quite. Long story short, my sr1550al power supply is @^%$# !! Specifically, I applied a real nice Ultra Power Supply Tester to the 24-pin main lead and the 8-pin peocessor lead. Here are the results:

24-PIN MAIN LEAD

+12v good

+5vsb good

-12v test light flickers (unstable voltage output??)

no other output

8-PIN PROCESSOR LEAD

NADA, Nothing...dead

On a supposedly new chassis? BUMMER!!

No juice to the E5410...no wonder there are no POST beep codes or diagnostic LEDs.

OK, so is the problem with the power supply itself or the Power Distribution Module?? Any slick way to find out?

Thanks for your consideration.

Thomas

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

It's been a while, but I thought you could boot without the 8-pin, if you only had one processor installed. Am I mis-remembering?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Not sure if 8-pin power is needed to boot and POST...I just replaced the PDU out of desperation and the system booted up clean.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

OK, folks, out of desperation I purchased a new power distribution board and installed it. Problem solved - s5000PAL has clean power and POSTs just fine.

My hair is starting to grow back now...

Power Distribution Boards are NOT cheap...