3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2010 10:33 AM by Diego_Intel

DQ35JO won't boot up with HDD 1Tb WD10EADS

tessory

I have problem with Intel DQ35JO. When I connect HDD WD10EADS system won't boot up. It freeze at first screen "Press F2 to Enter BIOS". Only way to post normally is to disconnect the WD10EADS drive. We check at other motherboard this HDD and it work fine. What we can do to solve this problem?

• 1. Re: DQ35JO won't boot up with HDD 1Tb WD10EADS
          Diego_Intel

Try setting a hard disk pre delay on the system BIOS, under the advanced tab on the drive configuration menu.

Also update the BIOS of the motherboard and the firmware of the hard drive connected. When the system freezes, do you see any post code on the lower right conerner of the screen?

Please confirm that the motherboard is able to boot with another hard drive connected.

• 2. Re: DQ35JO won't boot up with HDD 1Tb WD10EADS
            tessory

Thanks for so fast answer.

Yes motherboard (DQ35JO) work fine with 80Gb Seagate SATA (ST380815AS).

Full configuration: E8200/1Gb PC6400 Hynix/ATI HD3650/80Gb Seagate SATA.

About post code, yes wee see. It freeze at "5A". What it mean?

Sometime I hear that disable HPA at HDD can help to solve problem. Especially for mainboard from Gigabyte. Did Intel motherboard had this issue (with HPA)?

Pre boot delay we will try to change. Thanks.

I appreciate for your help.

• 3. Re: DQ35JO won't boot up with HDD 1Tb WD10EADS
              Diego_Intel

You can check those post codes on this site:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-025434.htm

The 5A refers to detecting and resetting devices on the SATA or IDE buses, so in fact if the system is hanging on that post code when that hard drive is connected, then it confirms that there is a conflict when this hard drive is attached.

Concerning HPA, we have not seen any reports or issues when using host protected area enabled on hard disks.

In addition to what I mentioned, you may try using the motherboard with the minimum devices attached as possible to free al resources, that includes testing the computer without any video cards, card reader,s PCI or PCI Express* cards, etc.