5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2010 10:20 AM by Boyet

D510MO "Boot USB Drive First" doesn't work

quietdragon

I had the same problem with the BIOS from November 2009, and tried the latest 7/5/2010 BIOS but find the problem remains.

With "Boot USB Drive First" disabled, the system boots from hard disk, and I can use F10 to optionally boot from USB flash drive instead.

With "Boot USB Drive First" enabled, the system continues to boots from hard disk. Selecting the USB flash drive from F10 has no effect, and the system boots from the hard disk

I couldn't find anywhere appropriate on the Intel site to report a BIOS defect.

• 1. Re: D510MO "Boot USB Drive First" doesn't work
          Boyet

Although I have a different board than yours I have such an option in the bios. With "Boot USB Drive First" enabled, placing a bootable usb flash drive in any available usb port will cause the computer to start up using the flash drive place in the usb. I don't use the F10 to boot thru usb. However, if " Boot USB Drive First" is disabled, I can't boot directly except to use F10.

• 2. Re: D510MO "Boot USB Drive First" doesn't work
            quietdragon

What you describe is certainly my expectation, but my expectation is not met.

• 3. Re: D510MO "Boot USB Drive First" doesn't work
              Boyet

I donot understand you're statement " what you describe is certainly my expectation..." but then you say you're expectation are not met. So what really are your true expectation? Are you putting the thread for some test? If it is, I do not intend to participate but please be specific in what you are really want.

Do you need information on how to report a defective bios?

Message was edited by: Boyet

• 4. Re: D510MO "Boot USB Drive First" doesn't work
                quietdragon

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The description you provided for your board describes what I expected to happen when I select "Boot USB Drive First'.

In other words, if I enable this option, I expected that the BIOS would boot my USB flash drive ahead of the internal hard drive. This did not happen, instead the BIOS boots the hard drive.

To make matters worse, if I enable this option then F10 boots the internal hard drive no matter what boot selection I make.

This is what I meant by your description fitting my expectation of what should happen.

What is the procedure to report a BIOS defect?

• 5. Re: D510MO "Boot USB Drive First" doesn't work
                  Boyet

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm sorry but I don't know the procedure on reporting a defective bios. However, if you go to this Forum's homepage and expand the Welcome note you will find some information/link on how to contact Intel in case problems presented in this forum cannot be resolve by members.