1 2 3 4 Previous Next 48 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2010 9:13 AM by navossoc

Board DX58SO (E29331-702): no post, no video, no beeps

regisdaniel

Hi all!

I´m build a new system based on Intel´s DX58SO Extreme board. The card that I got has the revision number equal to E29331-702, actually, the last one.

The processor is the I7-930 SLBKP. The memory choosen is Corsair TR3X6G1600C9 (9-9-9-24; 1600MHz; 2048MB). I have 3 memory modules for triple channel and 6GB on total. I´m also using a Seventeam 550W Power Supply and a Geforce HD 4890 video card.

After assembling all the components (MotherBoard, Processor, Memory and Video Board), I tried to start the system for the first time. I pressed the onboard power button and the board comes turned on for about 5 seconds, automatically turned off for 2 seconds and turned on again. After this process, no video appeared on the screen.

I tried to replace the power source, the video card, the memory, reset the BIOS, recover the BIOS, remove the battery... And nothing worked.

Also tried to turn the system on with no memory module and I get no beeps at all.

So, does anybody get problems like this? Is it normal the board turning off and on automatically when I first attempt to power the system on? Does anybody have and sugestions of how could I make this system works?

Thanks a lot!

• 1. Re: Board DX58SO (E29331-702): no post, no video, no beeps
          Flying_Kiwi

Was the Graphics card connected through it's power socket to the PSU as well (assuming your model of card has one of these sockets). It's really important that cards with these sockets receive power through that connection because the poor old PCIe slots aren't capable of supplying enough power on their own and to attempt to do so could cause problems. Have you double checked all the connections with the mobo manual?

PS thanks for being detailed with your component part nos etc - looks like it should all work together nicely!

• 2. Re: Board DX58SO (E29331-702): no post, no video, no beeps
            regisdaniel

Hi Flying_Kiwi. Thanks for your response.

The video card has 2 (2x3) power connectors that were always properly connected. I read on another posts that some users had issues when connecting both video card aux. source and the board´s SATA aux. source. So, I tested the system in both ways (with the SATA aux. source connected and disconnected and video card aux. power source always connected on both situations), but the problem remains.

Also tested the board without the GPU and the memory... It should beep... But is doesn´t again.

Do you have any another advice?
            Thanks a lot!

• 3. Re: Board DX58SO (E29331-702): no post, no video, no beeps
              Boyet

Is your video card Geforce HD 4890 or ATI Radeon HD 4890?

• 4. Re: Board DX58SO (E29331-702): no post, no video, no beeps
                regisdaniel

Hi Boyet!

It´s the ATI Radeon HD 4890. Sorry for not specifying this before.

• 5. Re: Board DX58SO (E29331-702): no post, no video, no beeps
                  Boyet

There are so many possibilities for a no boot condition. Here's a link for you as a guide. But when you removed the memory and you didnt get the beep codes I'd concentrate on the PSU and chasis section of that link. Good luck.

• 6. Re: Board DX58SO (E29331-702): no post, no video, no beeps
                    regisdaniel

Hello Boyet!

This problem was detected on the first power on attempt that I made. It was never ever mounted on the chassis. Also, I checked the voltages using a multimeter and also changed the PSU... The both PSUs used can provide a current higher than the ones that are on the board´s manual.

Thanks again!

• 7. Re: Board DX58SO (E29331-702): no post, no video, no beeps
                      Boyet

Just making out of what you have stated that when you remove the memory you can't hear any beep. Of course, some of  those discussed in the link assumes that the system once run but some of it also discusses first time power on. From the no beep situation, I've suggested that it could be the PSU or other components or just plain assembly errors. No fixed solution was suggested but just possibilities. You just have to review all steps that you have done in the assembly of the system.

• 8. Re: Board DX58SO (E29331-702): no post, no video, no beeps
                        Boyet

Question: How were you able to recover the bios when you only have 5 seconds before the system shuts down?trouble.JPG

• 9. Re: Board DX58SO (E29331-702): no post, no video, no beeps
                          Flying_Kiwi

Régis Daniel Oliveira wrote:

This problem was detected on the first power on attempt that I made. It was never ever mounted on the chassis. Also, I checked the voltages using a multimeter and also changed the PSU... The both PSUs used can provide a current higher than the ones that are on the board´s manual.

When you tested it initially (out of a chassis) the symptoms you describe also made me wonder about whether enough power was getting everywhere it was needed (and not short circuiting/going where it wasn't). Commonly 550 Watts would be plenty and the boards manual mentions 460 Watts. If you've checked the individual Rail loadings in the manual and any group loadings are below what the PSU can deliver, then it comes back to the testing process.

I was also wondering if something connected under the motherboard where it shouldn't. I've never been keen on testing builds outside of a chassis because there's to much chance of ESD occuring or a tiny flake of metal bridging PCB tracers and causing problems, even resting a motherboard on it's antistatic bag while powered up isn't ideal. You've done all the usual things I'd try to revive this so I think it's time (if you have another PC) to do a bit of PSU swapping and testing back in a chassis. Make sure your new PSU still works in another PC and wasn't damaged during the initial test fluctuation period.

Just because you've checked the rail voltages with your multimeter under a given set of circumstances, when it was booting up for the first time, it wasn't running for long enough to check then and anything else may not be accurately simulating the load your new motherboard places on the PSU, especially with the graphics card in place. You also didn't mention the power rating of the spare PSU you tried, if you have access to an even higher wattage one or a more well known brand of 550 Watts, how does that go on powering it up. I haven't read all the manual but if it mentions powering the card through the Aux connector on the motherboard or via a direct connection on the card and you've tried both ways one at a time that only leads powering both at the same time as a possibility BUT I don't know what the manual says about that and that may be forbidden....

• 10. Re: Board DX58SO (E29331-702): no post, no video, no beeps
                            regisdaniel

Hi Boyet! Thanks again for your response.

Sorry, but I don´t think I expressed myself correctly. I wasn´t able to recover the BIOS. I just tried to start the recover process, but, with no success. I attached a FAT formatted USB thumb, with the lastest BIO file on the USB port and remover the jumper, but, the process didn´t started.

As I said, this new system never worked. Nothing was show on the screen since I unpacked the board, the processor and the memories. Also, the board never emited a single "beep". When I first turned the board on, I was expecting for a video signal when it´s suddenly turned off automaticaly and then, turned on again... I remember thinking: "This is not a good thing". All that I did after this first power on attemp was in order to get some "sign of life" on the monitor...

Thanks a log again!

• 11. Re: Board DX58SO (E29331-702): no post, no video, no beeps
                              Boyet

Ok got you. I would assume that you have correctly installed the processor. You mention that you measure the voltages of your PSU , am I correct to assume that you have a steady supply of power to the system? Can you hear the PSU fan running?

• 12. Re: Board DX58SO (E29331-702): no post, no video, no beeps
                                regisdaniel

Hello Flying_Kiwi!

I was also wondering if something connected under the motherboard where it shouldn't. I've never been keen on testing builds outside of a chassis because there's to much chance of ESD occuring or a tiny flake of metal bridging PCB tracers and causing problems, even resting a motherboard on it's antistatic bag while powered up isn't ideal.

You are right. When I said that I did this test outside a chassis, what I´d like to said is that I don´t finish connecting all the cables (SATA, Front Panel Header, USB, FANs, etc) and closed the chassi. I am "trying" to upgrade my actual system (A Core2DUO with a Intel 965XBX2 Extreme) to this one (I7 930 + DX58SO). When did these tests, I first removed the "place" where the board is screwed from the chassis. Then, removed the screws and just screwed the new board to the same place. Since both boards has the same size, I didn´t need to change the place where the "spacers" where (I checked to see if no spacers os screews was gronding or short-circuiting the board). After this, with the new board screwed on the correct position, I installed the processor, memory, video card, PSU cables and did the first turn on attempt, that result on the behavior that I explained before... Board turned ON for 5 secs, turned OFF automatically for 2 secs, and then turned ON again (just like some ASUS boards). After this, the board keeps ON during all the time, but, no video, no beep, no signal life...

Make sure your new PSU still works in another PC and wasn't damaged during the initial test fluctuation period

As I´m doing a upgrade, the current PSU will no be replaced. It is working fine with my Core2 Duo system, from where I´m typing these words. I also tested another brand new PSU that have 750W, with no success.

Just because you've checked the rail voltages with your multimeter under a given set of circumstances, when it was booting up for the first time, it wasn't running for long enough to check then and anything else may not be accurately simulating the load your new motherboard places on the PSU, especially with the graphics card in place.

I agree with you. But, the system never boots up to allow me check the voltages on a real load condition. Since I tested the system with another PSU, that could deliver more power, and another "generic" video board (that don´t even needs a aux. power), I think that the problem is not PSU related...

Some time ago, I tried to replace my Core2Duo processor to a Core2Quad, without exchanging the 975XBX2 board. The manual said that the Core2Quad was compatible with that board. But, when I replaced the processor, the system dont showed nothing on the screen, no beep, just like this new one. After some researching, I realized that the board was compatible only with the "first released" Core2Quad processors... The one that I got, from a "new generation", wasn´t compatible. So, I decided to continued with my old Core2Duo until now.

This experience makes me think about three possible problems:

1) BIOS corrupted or from a old version that wasn´t able to work with this new processor. Checking the Intel website, the BIOS that was released a board that have the same revision number as mine should be enought to work with this processor... But, who knows if the BIOS were old by some mistake on somethink like this...

2) Problem on the board.

3) Problem on the processor.

Another question that I have is:

Is the "power on sequence" (Keep ON for 5 secs, OFF for 2, and the ON again)  presented by this board correct? I thing that I did´t said before is that this only happens the first time when the board is turned ON. If I manually turn the system OFF (pressing the board switch for t > 4 secs) and the turn it ON again, these "Power On Sequence" does not occur, and the system keeps ON until I de-energize the PSU. As explained before, no beep, no video on this situation too...

Please, make me know if this "Power On Sequence" is expected... Some ASUS boards has "Power On Sequences" like this, but i never seen somethink like this on Intel´s boards!

Thanks a lot!

• 13. Re: Board DX58SO (E29331-702): no post, no video, no beeps
                                  regisdaniel

Hello Boyet!

Boyet escreveu:

Ok got you. I would assume that you have correctly installed the processor. You mention that you measure the voltages of your PSU , am I correct to assume that you have a steady supply of power to the system? Can you hear the PSU fan running?

Yes, you can. This PSU is working good right now with my Core2Duo (that I´m trying yo upgrade)! When I push the power on button located on the board, the PSU fan (as like the CPU fan) starts to spin as expected. After 5 secs, the board turns OFF automatically (just like when the board is turned off manually - PSU and CPU fans stops spinning). Then, after 2 secs, they starts to Spin again, automatically, and keeps spining until I manually turns the system OFF.

Also, when the boards gets ON (on the first time - when I push the power button; and on the 2nd time - when the system turns on by itself), the blue Led that represents hard disk activity blinks fast. There is also a rapid blink on one of the 2 red leds that are near the CPU, but them remais OFF after this blink... My 975BXB2 board also have these leds, and one of them also blinks fast when the system power buttom is pressed.

• 14. Re: Board DX58SO (E29331-702): no post, no video, no beeps
                                    Flying_Kiwi

Régis Daniel Oliveira wrote:

Another question that I have is:

Is the "power on sequence" (Keep ON for 5 secs, OFF for 2, and the ON again)  presented by this board correct? I thing that I did´t said before is that this only happens the first time when the board is turned ON. If I manually turn the system OFF (pressing the board switch for t > 4 secs) and the turn it ON again, these "Power On Sequence" does not occur, and the system keeps ON until I de-energize the PSU. As explained before, no beep, no video on this situation too...

I've never heard of this sequence but them I'm not familiar with this particular board, just going by the manual. What happens when you turn power off with the motherboard switch (by holding it down for 5 sec or so) and then turn power off to the PSU by isolating mains for a few minutes (allowing any residual charge in capacitors to drain away), then reapply mains and attempt to start it in the normal way?

According to the tech specs for the board a piece of hardware called a 'POST card' is supported for boot related diagnostics of this board. If you pop it into a computer repair/sales shop that's equipped with one of these (maybe the place you bought the gear from?), they should be able to use the codes generated to work out whats going on. I'd be concerned about your attempted failed BIOS recovery influencing whats now going on. I've not read up on how to remedy a not completed recovery (or whether this is in fact required) - maybe you can find details of that on Intels website. I suspect Intel tech support (or those with more experience of your motherboard model) will be able to assist more, especially with regard to the power dycling sequence you describe. Good luck with those options.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next