13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2010 4:25 PM by ryan86

DH55TC board, new computer build wont power up

ryan86

Hey everyone,

first of all this is my first computer build and I'm getting frustrated with this board (which I think is the culprit) and I'm hoping someone can give me further guidance/advice. The problem is that when I turn on the power, the green stdby light on the mobo comes on and stays on (solid color, not blinking) but nothing happens. The fan will spin for 1 revolution and then stop and nothing else will happen.

intel dh55tc board

intel i5 650 cpu

kingston 4gb 1333 MHZ ddr3 ram

western digital 1.5tb internal hard drive

420 watt psu

I also have a cd/dvd combo drive and a graphics card but I cant remember their specs off hand and I don't think they are the problem. I have tried powering on with only the barebones parts (memory, cpu, mobo) and still get the same result. I have tried it in the case and out (on the anti static wrapper it was sent in) and checked all the connections and reseated the memory and cpu; same thing. I think it might be the psu if not the mobo, but if so would the green stdby light come on and stay on? Would the fans begin to spin and then stop?

Thanks, and hopefully someone knows what the heck is going on....

• 1. Re: DH55TC board, new computer build wont power up
          Flying_Kiwi

Have another read of the manual double checking everything is correct. Simple things like putting the memory into the wrong sockets can stop the PC booting (the blue sockets must be populated first before black). If it's a new PSU it's unlikely to be the culprit because they're tested during manufacture and it is powering up the green LED. Yes the green light should be on as long as there's mains power going to the PSU and will eventually go out after mains power is removed (effectively a small part of the motherboard is running all the time so you can have things like wake on LAN power up the PC).

As it's your first build and you'll no doubt be keen to get it up and running ASAP, it might be worth getting a second 'independant' check from someone else who can also refer to the manual. Sometimes a second set of eyes will pick up something that had originally been overlooked (possibly more than once). Since you're not getting any beep codes or errors, this is about all that can be suggested at this stage. Be careful about testing the board on it's antistatic bag (even though I've heard of this being used successfully). This is because although it does protect from ESD, the slight conductivity of the bag can have unpredicable consequences when it connects between tracks on the back of the board. As long as you're sure the brass stand-offs are the only parts contacting the rear of the board (and they're only in the right places to match the board securing holes), testing it in the case is fine.

[Edit} One other thing, have you checked the RAM is designed for the correct voltage according to the manual - not all DDR3 1333 memory will be compatible with this board. If you're not sure, post the Kingston part no here.

• 2. Re: DH55TC board, new computer build wont power up
            ryan86

thanks for the reply, the memory is kvr1333d3k2 kingston ram (2x2gb). now that you say that it may not be compatible, you may be right. I checked a compatibility website recently and it was not listed, but i have tried to power up without the memory installed and I get the same result. I realize I may not be able to boot without memory installed but shouldn't the fans at least spin? I am getting the same response from the system (fan turns about 1 revolution then stops, no beeps, lights, etc...) no matter what configuration i use.

• 3. Re: DH55TC board, new computer build wont power up
              Boyet

Click the link for troubleshooting your system. Also it is not necessary that you use a video card. Check this link.

Added: The ram seems to be compatible. Click here. Check if you have installed the 2x2 or 2x4 connector as instructed in the troubleshooting page. Is your PSU sufficient for such a system?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: DH55TC board, new computer build wont power up
                Flying_Kiwi

It depends on the rest of that part number as to whether it's compatible. Selecting Intel then your motherboard from the Kingston memory selector here: http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=59585&mfr=Intel&model=DH55TC+Motherboard&search_type=&root=uk&LinkBack=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kingston.com%2Fukroot&Sys=59585-Intel-DH55TC+Motherboard&distributor=0&submit1=Search , (not sure if that link will work) gives a few similar but longer part numbers - you'll need to double check all of this (including that you have non-ECC memory and NOT ECC), also how is the possibility of an independant inspection looking? That's the practice when anything vital has been touched on aircaft. You have tried unplugging it from the mains, attempting to turn it on, then plugging it back in again and trying again haven't you? As already mentioned, test it successfully / get it working with the bare minimum of components first and only add additional bits like cards and external peripherals (other than monitor, keyboard and mouse) once you've found some life in it.

It's not just the connectors you've mentioned that need checking, it's also the header pin connectors eg connecting the reset switch up to the power switch headers and vise versa could give powering up problems. If there are any jumpers that need to be set, these should also be double checked (preferably independantly as well).

Message was edited by: Flying_Kiwi: Added last paragraph

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: DH55TC board, new computer build wont power up
                  ryan86

I have installed and reinstalled several times over both the 2x12 connectors and the 2x2 connector for this mobo, same result as described before (fan spins 1 rev and then nothing; no lights or beeps other than the solid green stdby light). I have used several online power supply calculators and they all indicate that 430W that i have should be sufficient. Even if it isn't, the fans should spin (shouldnt they?) when I have only the minimum components installed (mobo, psu)

• 6. Re: DH55TC board, new computer build wont power up
                    Boyet

Try testing your system out of the case with minimal components installed. See if you can get something on screen.

• 7. Re: DH55TC board, new computer build wont power up
                      ryan86

I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you are talking about the jumpers. There is only one jumper i can see from inspecting the motherboard and mobo manual and that is the bios jumper, which is in its correct position (I may be missing some though, I am very unfamiliar with jumpers and their purposes).

One thing I have found though: I tried hooking the psu into an older mobo i had and it yielded the same results as in my new one (green stdby light came on, fan turned one revolution and stopped). Does this point to a bad psu? why would the green stdby light come on and stay on, if that is the case?

Also, I have an older psu but it is only 200W (which would probably be enough for the mobo/cpu config. at least) but it does not have a 2x2 connector for the cpu, only the 2x12 connector for the motherboard. Would it damage my mobo if I tried to use this one with my new mobo just to verify that the motherboard is not defective?

• 8. Re: DH55TC board, new computer build wont power up
                        Flying_Kiwi

ryan86 wrote:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you are talking about the jumpers. There is only one jumper i can see from inspecting the motherboard and mobo manual and that is the bios jumper, which is in its correct position (I may be missing some though, I am very unfamiliar with jumpers and their purposes).

One thing I have found though: I tried hooking the psu into an older mobo i had and it yielded the same results as in my new one (green stdby light came on, fan turned one revolution and stopped). Does this point to a bad psu? why would the green stdby light come on and stay on, if that is the case?

Jumpers are those little plastic blocks with connectors inside which slide over jumper pins and depending where they're positioned in a bank of pins determines the configuration or a particular aspect of the board. I'm unfamiliar with your model of board but you'll need to be certain you've not changed a jumper to the wrong setting by checking with the manual. The good news is that jumpers are being used less often these days than previously, with more configuration being possible through BIOS setup options.

What are the markings on the end of your case reset and power switches and how are you connecting these also what case and power supply (make and model) are you using and is it all new or did you buy it second hand? Did you try what I referred to previously about unplugging from the mains, powering the PC on (you'll probably get one revolution out of the fans then) then plugging back in and trying again? My Antec Fusion Remote Max had incorrect wiring information supplied with it when new and it was only through online forums like this that I found the correct way to connect it up. If the PSU has been plugged into mains without being fully connected to a motherboard, that has the potential to cause damage so always ensure the mains is the last thing to connect before any testing.

There are a couple of things I've not heard back on: How is that possibility of getting someone else to do an independant check looking? What coloured sockets are the RAM modules installed in? Also no, you won't be able to use the old PSU as the 'P4' (4 pin?) supply is essential - I cant over emphasise how important it is that things are connected exactly as per the manual, anything swapped over or a missing/different connection can cause problems.

• 9. Re: DH55TC board, new computer build wont power up
                          Flying_Kiwi

Boyet wrote:

Added: The ram seems to be compatible. Click here.

That's because that retailer hasn't provided the full part number of the module/kit (just like the o/p). There is no such thing as the number given by the o/p and it'll have additional letter(s) and number(s) to differentiate whether it's ECC or non-ECC. Just because much more non-ECC is being sold does not mean the correct ones are definitely in hand and this is something else that needs double checking. The o/p should find stickers on the modules with their FULL part numbers. Back when I was selecting memory for an early build computer, I researched ECC RAM and thought that's what I'll get due to this extra feature, it was only after further research that I realised my board wouldn't support it.

• 10. Re: DH55TC board, new computer build wont power up
                            Boyet

Here is the result of the search in Kingston's site.

• 11. Re: DH55TC board, new computer build wont power up
                              Boyet

You may have to use another PSU to further confirm your finding. But it looks like you found the problem.

• 12. Re: DH55TC board, new computer build wont power up
                                Flying_Kiwi

Boyet wrote:

Here is the result of the search in Kingston's site.

That's interesting because a look through the listing of their DDR3 Value RAM via the DIMM menu option doesn't list that number and it's a very long list. Kingston must be going through some part number transitions and thats either a new or old part number - sorry for the confusion. The specs shown, which are only the main specs, do look to be the same as the officially specified part with an N9 before the K2 except it's labelled as retail. There's no datsheet to compare in full though so I don't know if there are any other differences - I guess Kingston will know what's going on. I've encountered problems in the past when using non recommended but within spec memory in the Windows 2000 era with another brand of RAM, I swapped to the officially reccomended sort and the problems (occasional BSODs) went away - hence my caution. I've built a few new PCs and as long as they're all new parts, my prediction is that it's something about the build itself such as wrong connections, wrong part being used or items damaged during assembly rather than a part thats faulty from the word go. Not saying that doesn't happen but hardware suppliers do get loads of parts back as supposedly faulty and when tested they work fine.

{Edit} It would be useful to know more about the PSU. Is it brand new and what make/model? Is it specifically from (or for) a 'branded' PC such as certain models of Dell? Some PSUs have proprietary wiring so although the plugs look the same, they're wired differently. Connecting a non-standard PSU to a standard motherboard will casue damage.

• 13. Re: DH55TC board, new computer build wont power up
                                  ryan86

Hey guys,

After testing the older mobo i took my new computer into a computer repair shop here in town and it was indeed the psu that was faulty(to answer your question the psu was brand new out of the box, thermal master i believe with a cooler master case. Frustrating but relieved to have found the issue). Also, I looked at my order from new egg and the memory is indeed compatible, I'm not sure why the different part #s...

Thanks to both you guys for your help and advice. hopefully i wont be back on these boards except to help out others.

-Ryan