1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2010 6:40 AM by steppinwolf

Driver RST 9.6.4.1002

Pekish79

it looks like there are a bunch of new version of the RST out there

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/intel%20raid.htm

anybody tested the newest one 9.6.4.1002?

I am going to install them once i get home.

• 1. Re: Driver RST 9.6.4.1002
          steppinwolf

Looking forward to feedback on 9.6.4.1002.  Do you have standalone or RAID configuration? Waiting, waiting, waiting for TRIM support for SSD RAID. At least Intel has now publicly stated they're working towards it. Who knows, someday maybe we'll even get SMART data passed through the RST driver for mechanical RAID arrays! (I have both.)

• 2. Re: Driver RST 9.6.4.1002
            Pekish79

I did run a couple of AS SSD BENCH with the new driver result are in line maybe a little better from 415 score to 423 but we know every run is different and may just be a coincidence

i have 2x 80GB X25M but they are not in raid as i am lazy and wanted automatic trim

my set up for my SSD is

Intel Chipset ver 9.1.2.1007

driver RST ver 9.6.4.1002

on ACHI

• 3. Re: Driver RST 9.6.4.1002
              jjthenovice

Why are these "new" drivers not on Intel's website??

• 4. Re: Driver RST 9.6.4.1002
                Pekish79

most probably they are not certified, still in beta i guess, or just not much different. I guess to publish something officially in the site one has to go through some official permission some paperwork and nobody really want to go through all that for something that wo'nt really make any difference... it's not a private homepage where u publish whatever you want with little to none consequence.

Better safe then sorry the guy that write the driver is busy writing driver and doesn't really care much to ask his boss to ask someone else to ask the permission to.... etcetc

• 6. Re: Driver RST 9.6.4.1002
                  steppinwolf

Thanks. Maybe available-on-Intel-site-in-unadvertised-location is the next step after appearance on sites like Station Drivers. The usual early adopters are unusually quiet on RST 9.6.4.1002 so far...

• 7. Re: Driver RST 9.6.4.1002
                    mechbob

Thats a server Based driver I don't know if I would use it on my desktop ???

• 8. Re: Driver RST 9.6.4.1002
                      steppinwolf

Well, that might explain why Gize said it it was hard to find and why it didn't show up among the desktop board downloads last time I checked AND why the usual early adopters aren't jumping all over it. However, I'm not sure why you say it's a "server Based driver". The readme file System Requirements list Windows 7, Vista and XP along with various server OSs.

I have no intention of being among the first to try it anyway since I don't have a test machine to install it on.

• 9. Re: Driver RST 9.6.4.1002
                        PeterUK

Thats a server Based driver I don't know if I would use it on my desktop ???

They sure work though.

Just look in the readme.

• 10. Re: Driver RST 9.6.4.1002
                          Gize

Release Notes are contained within the package, it supports all the usual Windows OS' including Server 2003/2008.

• 11. Re: Driver RST 9.6.4.1002
                            steppinwolf

Agreed. My original theory stands. And I have another one (if theories were worth 2 cents each I'd be rich):

Of course enthusiasts and bloggers who normally post detailed feedback need a little more time to evaluate 9.6.4.1002. But more importantly, we probably won't see as much RST chatter as in late '09/early 2010 until Intel finally adds the big things we're waiting for such as TRIM for RAID and exposing individual drive metrics like SMART through the RST driver in RAID mode.

Intel we're counting on you. We know you can do it!

• 12. Re: Driver RST 9.6.4.1002
                              liberato

A good policy is to look at the Release Notes (not the never changing ReadMe) and see if any of the resolved issues in 9.6.4.1002 production version are applicable.  Newer is not always better especially if new problems are inadvertently introduced.  It looks like there are also some non-server related problems fixed in this release so I think I will try it.

• 13. Re: Driver RST 9.6.4.1002
                                steppinwolf

liberato wrote:

A good policy is to look at the Release Notes (not the never changing ReadMe) and see if any of the resolved issues in 9.6.4.1002 production version are applicable.

Um thanks, but my earlier post directs Robert to the ReadMe file because it's much easier to get at (you can read it without downloading and opening the driver package). The specific point we're making to Robert is that server and non-server OS's are listed there as well as in Realease Notes. Actually best policy is to read both because ReadMe can sometimes change. Note: Station Drivers also carries a nice summary of driver changes for super early adopters, but never use that as your only source since it is unofficial, unsupported and does not list all known issues. (liberator, the note is for general audience. I would not assume you don't already know that.)

Newer is not always better especially if new problems are inadvertently introduced.

Agreed. That's why, as stated earlier, it's best not to be among the first to try a new driver unless you have a test or non-critical machine to install it on.

It looks like there are also some non-server related problems fixed in this release so I think I will try it.

Excellent! Awaiting feedback from you or others who decide to try 9.6.4.1002.

1 2 Previous Next