6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2010 9:15 AM by Curious592

DG965WH w/Core 2 Duo CPU - Sudden No-Boot

weriov

Hi all -

I self-built a PC around a DG965WH board with a midrange Core 2 Duo chip about four years ago.  I've never had a bit of trouble with it (except for a few video problems related solely to driver issues) until earlier this month, when suddenly the machine began powering off without warning in the middle of normal, light usage (no gaming, multimedia editing, etc.).  This continued for about a week until one morning I went to turn the PC on and it wouldn't boot at all.  When I push the power button, the lights on the front (drives, power LED) come on momentarily, the fans begin to whir up, and then the whole system just dies and powers off without really attempting to boot.

In an effort to isolate the problem, I went through the standard steps--removed memory, boards, peripherals until I was down simply to the board, CPU, and power supply.  No luck.  At that point, I pulled out the board and swapped it for another one I had laying around, reconnected everything, and powered the machine up.  Voila--success.  To my mind, that means I've got either a faulty board or a dead CPU, but the problem is that I don't know how to tell which one's the culprit.  In an effort to save some money replacing the parts (I'm trying to avoid dropping a whole bunch of cash on a totally new board/CPU bundle), can anyone give me a way to test what's going on here?

Thanks in advance for any help--I really, truly appreciate it!

• 1. Re: DG965WH w/Core 2 Duo CPU - Sudden No-Boot
          Curious592

I'm currently trying to retire my DG965WH which is decrepit.   That power supply died when temporarily used in another system.  Four years is pretty long for the PSU and I generally would suggest abandoning the system altogether for a new system.  A noise free new hard drive in itself is worth a lot.  If you have added a new hard drive that could also be a problem with multiple possibilities.

• 2. Re: DG965WH w/Core 2 Duo CPU - Sudden No-Boot
            weriov

Hi Curious,

Thanks for your response.  I'm not in a position to completely replace the system and start from scratch, and to be honest, there's really no need for me to do so as all the other components (PSU, hard drives, fans, peripherals) are verified good and working.  The only thing I'm really trying to determine is whether it's the mobo or the CPU that needs replacing, but I've already decided on replacing whichever one needs it.

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: DG965WH w/Core 2 Duo CPU - Sudden No-Boot
              Curious592

That's fine, just be sure to backup your system since it is more likely your OS drive is failing.  Unless the CPU is overheating it is extremely unlikely it would fail w/o other devices failing.  You should check Desktop Utilites or the BIOS.  I moved 4 GB 667 RAM, E6400, power supply (replaced after system failure) and non-OEM Vista to a DG45ID.  This requires an SATA DVD (my drive was SATA but old) and USB keyboard.  Vista 64 is now booting as fast as Win 7 with BIOS 131.  This is preliminary results.  If not for another issue I would still use the DG965WH.  That does not have any recent BIOS update that I know of however.

• 4. Re: DG965WH w/Core 2 Duo CPU - Sudden No-Boot
                weriov

Hi Curious,

Unfortunately, I don't have any way to use Desktop Utilities or anything BIOS related to diagnose the problem, as the system won't power up for more than a second.  The drives and all other peripherals are fine--in the case of both my hard drives, they've been checked for data and mechanical errors recently and are in perfect health.

• 5. Re: DG965WH w/Core 2 Duo CPU - Sudden No-Boot
                  Curious592

If you can't put the CPU in the other board or another CPU in this board you need more assistance than I can provide.  I managed to learn something about fans using a multimeter but I'm still learning.  If you get another board you may also need an adapter for the printer.  Mine works but it is slower than a regular USB device when moving since it must load the adapter first.  Check everything for compatibility if you get another board.  That of course is a problem for your CPU at this point.  I was concerned about mine as well but I believe yours would work in a 45 board.  I can vouch for BIOS 85 thru 117 as good for a DG45ID with Vista.  117 may be better for 64-bit with a graphics card.

• 6. Re: DG965WH w/Core 2 Duo CPU - Sudden No-Boot
                    Curious592

Your system is detecting something wrong which could be a connection that has changed.  Any changes to the BIOS by you could cause this which would require removing the CMOS battery for a while.  Replacing the door can nudge a cable enough to alter detection.  You mention a second hard drive.  Is it a new large capacity?  You seem to have used another utility to check the drives but I am not sure it has helped you in advance.  If the checkdisk was used with fix errors it may have changed something but it seems unlikely that it would prevent any boot.