8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2010 3:01 AM by luka1002

DX58S0 Random lock up problem-now it won't boot!

Jastiger

I recently built a computer using the DX58SO motherboard and the i7940 processor. Everything was going great when I first started using the system! This was about 3 weeks ago. I've since been able to install and run many of my favorite applications with no problem.

However, about a week ago, my computer has begun to lock up at random intervals. I'd come home from work, and it'd be locked up. I'd be typing an email, and it'd lock up.  I'd restart and continue on my way and things would be fine.  Now, I came home from work and I have a computer that is locked up. I restart, and it gets to the BIOS menu. I look through some of the BIOS settings and it..locks up! I am not sure what to do!

I can't get past the BIOS screen without it freezing up now. I have downloaded the latest BIOS update that was released in mid-June, but this was happening before this installation. Otherwise, nothing has changed in the system at all. I've run memory tests before, and everything checked out fine, and none of my computer programs have had a real problem with them at all.  It seems completely random. The computer locks up, my lights are all on, my mouse and keyboard lights are on.  However, nothing is responsive. No mouse movement, no key movement, NUM LOCK/CAPSLOCK no response. Same when I'm in BIOS as when i'm in Windows 7

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing such a frustrating problem? This machine is an absolute dream when its running, but something has started to cause it to lock up, and nothing major had changed! Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: DX58S0 Random lock up problem-now it won't boot!
          PunMaster

If the problem happens even in the BIOS, it is probably hardware related. First, I'd recommend trying a different power supply if you can. You may also want to try using a different, preferably less powerful, single video card. Also, despite the seemingly successful tests, you can try using only one of your RAM modules (try them all individually), or different RAM altogether. If you aren't even getting past the BIOS, there's also no harm in unplugging all of your drives and other non-essential devices and peripherals. Sorry this is so vague, but solving problems like this usually just require slowly eliminating variables. I hope this helps.

• 2. Re: DX58S0 Random lock up problem-now it won't boot!
            Jastiger

Thanks for the heads up. I am using one GT 260 OC Nvidia card right now. I've tried all the memory and its fine.   THe Power Supply is less than a year old, but I can certainly try another. Do you think it could be a power issue? BIOS issue?

• 3. Re: DX58S0 Random lock up problem-now it won't boot!
              PunMaster

If your BIOS is up to date, I don't see how that could be the problem, assuming you're using reasonable settings (no overclocking, etc.). I have had similar issues because of faulty or poorly designed power supplies, so if you have a spare one, swapping it out is certainly worth a try. As for trying a different video card, if you you could dig up an old card that doesn't need its own power, that would be ideal for testing. I have also had RAM pass tests but still cause weird stability problems, so trying the sticks individually or sapping them out might still be worth a try.

• 4. Re: DX58S0 Random lock up problem-now it won't boot!
                Jastiger

I have managed to get my computer to boot consistently. However, now when I use anything on it, it locks up! No beeps, no nothing, just a lock up during program operation. It remains on with all of the fans still running, but no response on the keyboard or mouse.  What could cause such a thing? This is a brand new Windows 7 install.

• 5. Re: DX58S0 Random lock up problem-now it won't boot!
                  Boyet

Check your ram. Test them one by one in another unit.

• 6. Re: DX58S0 Random lock up problem-now it won't boot!
                    luka1002

Try ti use older Bios. reser your bios setting to default... test your ram (remove all ram except one and check timmings) and try to use another PSU. It is hardware relatied... U must change every component and test it.

• 7. Re: DX58S0 Random lock up problem-now it won't boot!
                      Jastiger

Thanks for all the help!

I've tried a few different hardware parts and I have reset the BIOS to the previous version.  Is this something a voltage difference on RAM can change? And timing, I am unsure what that means or how to change it properly.  I still intermittently have freezing problems, I'll be playing say Starcraft II and the computer will just LOCK UP. I'll restart and it will LOCK UP in BIOS. If I wat a little bit, it'll come back and then I might go 5 minutes or 10 hours and then it'll LOCK UP. I've tested all hardware with software such as memtest, and video card updates from nvidia.  I've also checked tempuratures using RealTemp and the BIOS when i restart, and the CPU is running about 50C-70C  even under load, so I know its not some crazy tempurature thing. I'm very frustrated as it really seems to be random!

• 8. Re: DX58S0 Random lock up problem-now it won't boot!
                        luka1002

i had same problem two weeks ago. I just replaced Power supply... Now it is ok. X58SO are sensitive to power ,so may try with UPS if voltage is vary(i do not beleve) , or just try with new PSU (600 w+)