10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2010 2:43 PM by PunMaster

DG41TY HAS NO NIC, SOUND OR USB - HELP

jberenyi

I have an Intel DG41TY motherboard running Windows XP Home.  Overtime I have lost in order these features in the last 6 months; NIC, Sound, and now USB.  My device manager says all is well and I loaded the latest Intel BIOS version too.  I'm pretty savvy with computers but this thing has me stumped. So far, I have had to buy a card for each one of these issues which sucks.  Does anyone have any ideas on this one?

PS.  I also reinstalled the chipset drivers that came with the computer.

• 1. Re: DG41TY HAS NO NIC, SOUND OR USB - HELP
          PunMaster

Are all of your devices enabled in the BIOS? Can you use a USB keyboard in the BIOS? Can you network boot, or even attempt to? Have you tried a Linux boot CD?

• 2. Re: DG41TY HAS NO NIC, SOUND OR USB - HELP
            Flying_Kiwi

John Berenyi wrote:

I have an Intel DG41TY motherboard running Windows XP Home.  Overtime I have lost in order these features in the last 6 months; NIC, Sound, and now USB.  My device manager says all is well and I loaded the latest Intel BIOS version too.  I'm pretty savvy with computers but this thing has me stumped. So far, I have had to buy a card for each one of these issues which sucks.  Does anyone have any ideas on this one?

PS.  I also reinstalled the chipset drivers that came with the computer.

Assuming you've already checked these features are enabled in the BIOS as already suggested by the previous poster, It looks like the relevant O/S services may have become disabled or there is some other corruption in the OS installation. I know if it was me, I'd be performing a from the ground up reinstall (using the latest Intel provided chipset drivers)  long before buying additional hardware and cards. What does Intel Desktop Utilities say about the board and its features etc?

• 3. Re: DG41TY HAS NO NIC, SOUND OR USB - HELP
              PunMaster

Check out what I said above before trying anything that breaks your operating system.

• 4. Re: DG41TY HAS NO NIC, SOUND OR USB - HELP
                Flying_Kiwi

Ryan Finley wrote:

Check out what I said above before trying anything that breaks your operating system.

I guess Johns claim to be pretty savvy with computers led me to assume the missing features were already checked and enabled in the BIOS (not even sure if they'd show up properly in Device Manager if they weren't) but yes thats definitely the first thing to check.

Personally I like to do a fresh OS reinstall every now and again to clear out the cobwebs but it can be tedious reinstalling and configuring additional software after the OS. Things definitely run faster on my PC after such work compared to running 6 months or a year with numerous software installs and uninstalls etc. Not sure what else the 'breaks' your os could refer to as IDU has shown no sign of doing this with my DG45ID. It has its glitches but other than longer times to initialise internet connectivity in the earlier days after installing it, I've not noticed any other adverse effects. It's free and it tells me lots of info specfic to my (DG45ID) motherboard. Maybe your reply was intended for John - sorry if I misunderstood.

• 5. Re: DG41TY HAS NO NIC, SOUND OR USB - HELP
                  PunMaster

The BIOS things were preliminary, just to make sure the OP didn't miss anything obvious. The major recommendation was the Linux disk, which can be used to test hardware independent of OS configuration. It seems pointless to mess around with operating system stuff (especially a full reinstall) without first being sure the hardware is good.

• 6. Re: DG41TY HAS NO NIC, SOUND OR USB - HELP
                    jberenyi

Yes, I have checked every setting and area in the BIOS which is updated.  Everything is enabled correctly.  Device manager has no flags whatsoever.  How can a fairly new board be so difficult.  It looks pretty basic to me.  Even the chipset drivers are updated.  The whole system is only 6 months old.

• 7. Re: DG41TY HAS NO NIC, SOUND OR USB - HELP
                      PunMaster

Download the CD version of http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download and boot it in live mode. If your hardware works, it's your operating system's fault, and you should consider a reinstall. If it doesn't, it's a faulty board and you should try to get a replacement if you are still under warranty.

• 8. Re: DG41TY HAS NO NIC, SOUND OR USB - HELP
                        jberenyi

Will do.  I have another drive in the computer that I will install it on and disconnect the current drive and will report back.

• 9. Re: DG41TY HAS NO NIC, SOUND OR USB - HELP
                          Flying_Kiwi

John Berenyi wrote:

How can a fairly new board be so difficult.  It looks pretty basic to me.  Even the chipset drivers are updated.  The whole system is only 6 months old.

There could be many causes of hardware failure, power supply problems, ESD, overheating, manufacturing defect in the particular motherboard to name a few. If you have another HDD with enough space and the drive with the suspect installation is out of order, then you could test the board with a fresh Windows installation.on that drive, no need to download a Linux iso (although I think the suggestion was just to run the initial part of the linux install that tests the hardware). I recently installed a NIC on an aquaintances PC after the motherboard based network port went on the blink and started displaying intermittant connections in Windows. In your case if it is Power or Temperature related, at least Intel Desktop Utilities would highlight this.

[Edit] Just found reference lacking the DG41TY in the list of motherboards supported by Intel Desktop utilities so maybe that option is a no-go, the other iseas in the thread should help though.

Message was edited by: Flying_Kiwi: IDU maybe not supported by DG41TY

• 10. Re: DG41TY HAS NO NIC, SOUND OR USB - HELP
                            PunMaster

I suggested the Linux ISO because it needs no installation. Just boot it and see if your hardware works.