2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2011 12:23 AM by steve1916

Default RAM latency for DH55HC and DH55TC - how to find?

steve1916

I've searched the BIOS, Google, and this communtiy without success, but I may have missed something obvious, so here's my two questions:

1.  I have no experience with overclocking, but would like to know how to find the default ram latency for DH55TC and DH55HC so I can buy RAM that works with these two boards WITHOUT PAYING TOO MUCH.  OK, I just hate to waste money, so I think this is a must know issue to find the best deal at Fry's or Newegg.  This must be a slam dunk for the experts in this community.

2.  In the event that I do have a desire or need to overclock, what is the best source of information on how to go about this (mostly for intel boards)?  I would appreciate any details you want to elaborate on, or just a URL to a great website would suffice.

I'm still mystified why Intel does not provide information on default memory timinings.  Is it because the cheapest stuff on the marked meets the default requirements?  I also have no problem with buying overspec'ed RAM if the PRICE IS LOWER!

Thanks for any help you can provide.

steve 1916

Answer:

I got the following from Intel support (bottom line, the processor determines CAS latency).  I'm assuming the same may apply for the DH55HC and will check it's processor spec next:

Message was edited by: steve1916 Salem: Hello. Thank you for using the Intel Customer Support chat service. We are glad to be of service. How can I help you today? you: What CAS latency RAM (DDR3 1333) should I buy for motherboard DH55TC and processor i3-530? Choices are 7 and 9. There is about a $70 difference for 4 GB. I do not plan to overclock, but use the auto-detectd setup. Salem: Board and processor-wise, there's no CAS latency restriction per se; see the following URLs: Salem: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dh55tc/sb/CS-030954.htm#features Salem: and Salem: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=46472&code=Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+i3-530+Processor+%284M+Cache%2c+2.93+GHz%29 Salem: I do recommend using officially tested memory, though; see the following URL: Salem: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dh55tc/sb/CS-030954.htm#tested you: So, this will answer the question that if I pay more I will get higher performance and not be wasting money on CAS latency 7? Salem: Regretfully, I cannot comment on that as that's your final decision. I do further-comment, technically speaking, that the supported memory voltage the Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 Processor supports is 1.5V.; see page 11 of the datasheet: Salem: http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/322909.pdf Salem: Hence, make sure your memory does comply with that. Salem: Actually, while further-checking on the aforementioned datasheet, I need to correct my statement above: Salem: Board-wise, there's no CAS latency restriction per se. Salem: Processor-wise, there is; see page 20 of the datasheet: Salem: http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/322909.pdf Salem: For CAS Latency, regarding 1333MHz. modules, the timing must be either 9 or 10. Salem: Is there anything else I might be of assistance to you, today? you: Ok, I appreciaate your time and effort to provide the list of URL's for reading. I've read enough while searching to find that DDR3 is different from DDR2, but did not find what seemed to be a reliable source. Do you know if lower CAS latency RAM will default to the processor requirment? Salem: It may or may not; I'd rather recommend sticking to what page 20 of the mentioned datasheet states. you: Thanks for the information, I was not able to find much searching community, google, etc. you: Bye. Salem: Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support Dpt. Have a nice day!

• 1. Re: Default RAM latency for DH55HC and DH55TC - how to find?

I found your post while trying to find certififed ram for the DH55HC.

As for Latency, most Ram is 9. But 7 is just a smidge faster. Not much at all. Either will work with the DH55CH.

What CPU do you have installed? If you are using the Intel I-5 you can use the cheaper 1066. If you are using the I-7 use 1333.

That's about all I know on this subject. I'm still trying to get answers and can't finda any.

• 2. Re: Default RAM latency for DH55HC and DH55TC - how to find?
            steve1916

I have an i7-870 CPU and am using 8 GB of 1333.  JEDEC PC3-1333 or DDR3-10600 standard module timings (CL-tRCD-tRP) are 7-7-7, 8-8-8, 9-9-9, and 10-10-10.  The motherboard is an Intel DH55HC, which isn't the best choice for over-clocking, but I have no intent of OC.  CPU-Z reports 9-9-9 is the timings used in the system.  It also reports the timings table includes 7-7-7, 8-8-8 and 10-10-10.  So, if you want to tinker with the motherboard and the BIOS allows OC, it looks like you have your choice of all four standard timings.

So, for any given motherboard, what timings will the system use assuming there is no over-clocking?  Are all standard timings included in every module?  Why does some 7-7-7 cost more than 9-9-9?  Does tRAS or other ratings explain higher priced RAM?  Does more expensive RAM have higher performance than standard modules?

In some cases higher performance RAM costs less and in other cases you may want to buy higher performance RAM for future upgrades, but allow it to default to lesser performance in the current system.  Do both of these conditions make sense or is it a waste of money?  I've seen other RAM that listed as many as (3) families of standard modules, so manufacturers have been creative in the past.