6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2010 4:12 PM by jamesbbb

DX58S0 PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge problem

benjaminkeith

Situation:

Fresh install of Windows 7 (32bit).  All fresh drivers from Intel's site for chipset, audio, network, etc.  Video card drivers installed (ATI Radeon HD 4800 series.  2 PCI-E and 1 standard (old school) PCI video cards).  The PCI device goes unrecognized by Windows 7 and I now have an exclamation point (splat!) by PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge in the device manager with an error code of:  This device cannot start. (Code 10)

After researching around, it seems that the PCI-to-PCI Bridge driver didn't load (or load correctly), but I don't know how/which one to load.  I've tried reloading the chipset driver pack, to no avail.

Has anyone run multiple video cards (especially 3, one being PCI) and got it to work correctly, or had to reload the PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge drivers to compensate for this error?

Any and all help will be appreciated!

• 1. Re: DX58S0 PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge problem
          benjaminkeith

Minor additional information:  Everything works just fine under Windows XP.  Windows 7 seems to have a problem managing the bridge.

• 2. Re: DX58S0 PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge problem
            jamesbbb

any luck on this one ?

can anyone from Intel help us out ?

I have this same problem

system: Intel DH55HC motherboard + i7 870 + 8GB

video: Leadtek GT 430 PCIe  + EVGA 8400 GS PCI

windows will only recognize the card which is set to start as the primary video device in the BIOS

and the "PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge" will always fail to start under windows

"This device isn't using any resources because it has a problem"

• 3. Re: DX58S0 PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge problem
              Harish_Bly

Are You Install Proper Driver?

• 4. Re: DX58S0 PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge problem
                jamesbbb

this is a brand new PC

I did a fresh Windows 7 64-bit install

then installed the Intel motherboard drivers from the included CD

if i plug in only the PCIe video card everything works fine

its when i have both cards plugged in do I get the error on the "PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge" in Device Manager

I did also at one point see an error:  "this device cannot find enough free resources that it can use"

under I/O resource allocation

if i have only the PCI card plugged in I can see the PCI Bridge takes the resource

0x0000E000-0x0000EFFF     PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge     OK

.. and I get no errors

but when I plug in the PCIe card as well I can see this card takes over some of the same resource range .. and i then get the PCI Bridge error

0x0000E000-0x0000E07F     NVIDIA GeForce GT 430     OK

Both of these cards use the same NVIDIA drivers - which I have installed ... but I still get the PCI Bridge error

• 5. Re: DX58S0 PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge problem
                  Doc_SilverCreek

Have you isolated who's PCI to PCI bridge is having issues? 

The bridge could be on the video card, another system card or the mother board.

What is the PCI\VEN_????&DEV_???? numbers in the device detail tab?

• 6. Re: DX58S0 PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge problem
                    jamesbbb

I have now tried every combination of 4 different PCIe cards and 2 different PCI cards

from the same and different manufacturers  ... and have now given up 

have ordered an ATI Eyefinity card which I will pick up today .. which will let me run the 3 monitors i want !

I believe this is a flaw in the Intel motherboard .. as these video card combinations work perfectly fine in 2 other PC's i have - with ASUS and Gigabyte motherboards

something I have noticed:

when the PCI card is set to primary in the bios

Windows 7 can infact detect the type of PCIe card which is plugged in - and will install drivers for it.

But the PCIe card doesn't seem to function properly - ie. noting happens if i plug in a monitor to any of its ports  (usually W7 would auto extend the desktop)

and the additional screen option doesnt appear in Display Settings.