2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2010 9:49 AM by JayUK

X25 for Enterprise use

JayUK

H all,

I am looking an upgrading/replacing my SAN with some SSDs (SAN will be used for Oracle OLTP DB Cluster)

I am potentially looking at X25-E disks (12 in a RAID 10), but I have been told a better/more ecomonical use would be a RAID5, and the actual difference on SSD between the two RAID levels is minimal (as compared to conventional HDDs where the write impact is noticable). I know it will come down to the read/write ratios, etc. but does anyone have any experience of the actual difference?

Also, I said I was looking at the X25-E (or OCZ 2 EX), but a SAN manufacturer is trying to convince me that the X25-M (mlc) will be fine. Any comments on this?

Thanks,

J.

• 1. Re: X25 for Enterprise use
          mechbob

The only problem with using SSDs in RAID is the Tool Box will not work because it can not distinguish the difference one drive for another , So it would hard to keep them clean and the performance would degrade over time.

• 2. Re: X25 for Enterprise use
            JayUK

Hi there,

Thanks for replying

I hadn't even considered/thought about the Intel software tools (assumed the tool wouln't work as these disks will be in a 8Gbps FC SAN)

Does anyone have any data on RAID 10 v RAID 5 with SSD in an ORacle environment?

Thanks,

J.

ps - Anyone know when the Intel 100GB eMLC drives will be released?