Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel PROSet/Wireless v.13.x.x: Single-Sign-On feature missing?

idata
Employee

Hi all,

We have Dell Latitude D630 laptops with 3945ABG WiFi running Windows XP and we are using ProSET's Single-Sign-On feature for users to authenticate and connect to our WLAN.

We are upgrading Windows XP to Windows 7, and while testing WiFi I stumbled on the following problem. Intel offers for Windows 7 environment ProSET version 13.x.x.x which doesn't have the Single-Sign-On feature. In this version of PROSet only the Admin-toolkit is available and no other user interface.

Is there a way to get back the PROSet's Single-Sign-On feature in Windows 7 or do we have to find other means to get this functionality?

Best Regards

Otto

5 Replies
Sachin_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Otto,

Intel PROSet 13.x.x.x for Windows 7 DOES contain Single Sgin On functionality. But its implementation and behavior are a bit different from XP.

You can create Wireless profiles as you used to do for XP using Administrator Tool. Then, apply the package to the client machine.

After reboot and during logon, Windows 7 will apply the SSO wireless profile....although you would not see the XP Single Sign On UI.

More information is provided in Help file. Please review it.

Thanks

Sachin

Intel Corp.

idata
Employee

Hi,

I have to apologize as my question was phrased wrongly. I meant that Windows-components are missing from PROSet v.13.

In the older PROSet version that we are using with Windows XP when creating a WLAN profile it is possible to set "USER CREDENTIALS: USE WINDOWS LOGON".

In PROSet v.13 the only option is "USER CREDENTIALS: USE SECURED PASSWORD".

So my question is, is it possible with PROSet v.13 and Windows 7 to use Windows-logon authentication as was the case with older Windows/PROSet version? If it is how can it be accomplished?

BR

Otto

0 Kudos
Sachin_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Otto,

SSO profiles are usually of 3 types:

Prelogon -- Wireless Connection is made after user enters his credentials on Crtl-Alt-Del logon screen. Any type of creds can be used i.e. Winlogon or Prompt.

Persistent -- Wireless Connection is made as soon as machine boots up or any user logs-off. Only machine credentials can be used to make this kind of preofile such as 'Secure Password'

Prelogon+Persistent -- Wireless Connection is made as soon as machine boots up or any user logs-off. Only machine credentials can be used to make this kind of preofile such as 'Secure Password'.

I assume you want your users to use Winlogon credentials. Therefore, when you are creating a profile, on first page of ProfWiz....just use Prelogon option and uncheck Persistent option.

Thanks

Sachin

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Sachin,

Thank you very much for your answer, that is exaclty the information I had been seeking. You shaved my day.

Thanks again!

Otto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So, does the SSO feature still exist in the MSI install or has it been removed in 13.4. I have downloaded the Enterprise Advanced 13.4 client but don't see SSO/Prelogon available in the install options. I cannot get the prelogon to work on Win7 32 bit. Is there something I'm missing??

0 Kudos