6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2018 5:18 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC5i5MYHE UEFI PXE always boots IPv6 before IPv4

scan80269

I have several NUC5i5MYHE running latest BIOS 0048.  When configured to do UEFI PXE boot, these NUCs always attempt to boot IPv6 ahead of IPv4.

Internal SATA controller is disabled in BIOS setup to force unit to do PXE boot.  Legacy boot is disabled & UEFI boot is enabled.  Secure boot is disabled.

After entering BIOS setup to put PXE IPv4 in front of PXE IPv6 then save & exit, the NUC still always boots IPv6 first.  Re-entering BIOS setup shows IPv6 sitting ahead of IPv4 again in the boot order.

This looks like a BIOS bug to me.

I'm looking to do UEFI PXE boot with IPv4 only, so PXE IPv6 needs to be either disabled or placed after PXE IPv4 in the boot order.

Intel please confirm whether this issue can be reproduced on your side.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: NUC5i5MYHE UEFI PXE always boots IPv6 before IPv4
          scan80269

I've just discovered that this issue of UEFI PXE IPv6 always booting ahead of IPv4 occurs only when the "Boot Network Devices Last" option is checked.

With this option unchecked, UEFI PXE IPv4 can be placed ahead of IPv6 to avoid the lengthy delay when network booting a NUC5i5MYHE using IPv4.  I'm using this as a workaround for now.

• 2. Re: NUC5i5MYHE UEFI PXE always boots IPv6 before IPv4
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

: Thank you for joining the Intel Communities Support.

In order to provide the most accurate assistance we just wanted to confirm a few details:

What is the amount, and brand & model of the memory RAM?

Is there any storage device installed (SSD, HDD, etc.) or any other bootable device connected to the unit?
            If you have a bootable device installed, have you tested the unit without?

Have you tested if the same issue occurs when loading the BIOS defaults?

Also confirm if booting to from Ethernet.

Regards,
            Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician   
            Under Contract to Intel Corporation

• 3. Re: NUC5i5MYHE UEFI PXE always boots IPv6 before IPv4
              scan80269

RAM: 2 sticks of Samsung 4GB 1Rx8 PC3L-12800S-11-12-B4 M471B5173DB0-YK0 SODIMM

SSD: Micron M600 512GB M.2 SATA SSD (F/W=MU05)

I tried PXE booting with and without the M.2 SATA SSD installed with the same results.  Whenever the "Boot Network Devices Last" option is selected, BIOS would not keep the boot order setting of IPv4 before IPv6 and always boot from IPv6 first.  If "Boot Network Devices Last" is unchecked, then getting the NUC to boot IPv4 first works.

My second NUC5i5MYHE has a Samsung 860 EVO M.2 2TB SSD, with the same symptoms.  I just removed this SSD so there is no storage attached, but the issue remains.  Restoring default BIOS settings made no difference either.  The issue still repros whenever "Boot Network Devices Last" option is checked.

• 4. Re: NUC5i5MYHE UEFI PXE always boots IPv6 before IPv4
                Intel Corporation

Thank you for that information, could you please provide a picture of the "Boot Priority" where you are able to see IPV4 and IPV6?

Regards,
                Alberto R.

• 5. Re: NUC5i5MYHE UEFI PXE always boots IPv6 before IPv4
                  scan80269

Alberto,

Attached are two screen shots of NUC5i5MYHE BIOS setup screens.

Regards,

scan80269

IMG_1400.JPGIMG_1404.JPG

• 6. Re: NUC5i5MYHE UEFI PXE always boots IPv6 before IPv4
                    Intel Corporation

Thank you very much for providing the pictures.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,
                    Alberto R.