3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2018 9:23 PM by ZeryChao

Intel Optane causes Explorer.exe to have high CPU usage

Rognaut

I've Added a Screen shot to show a ton of information.

To start, the issue that I am having is that the Explorer.exe program uses about 10% of my CPU (i9-9900k).

Using the Microsoft program "Process Explorer" I was able to see that Explorer.exe is constantly reading the following files:

RPCRT4.dll!NdrConformantStructBufferSize+0x668

RPCRT4.dll!RpcBindingFree+0x1fe6

RPCRT4.dll!RpcBindingFree+0x6ea

RPCRT4.dll!RpcServerInqCallAttributesW+0x9294

RPCRT4.dll!NdrMesSimpleTypeEncodeAll+0x3222

RPCRT4.dll!NdrClientCall3+0xf0

iaStorAfsServiceApi.dll!OptaneRegisterListener+0x161b

iaStorAfsServiceApi.dll!OptaneRegisterListener+0x9aa

iaStorAfsServiceApi.dll!OptaneRegisterListener+0xd7a

iaStorAfsServiceApi.dll!OptaneRegisterListener+0xfe4

iaStorAfsServiceApi.dll!OptaneRegisterListener+0x5ad8

KERNEL32.DLL!BaseThreadInitThunk+0x14

ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart+0x21

It appears that I am having the issue where the "Pinning Explorer Extension" does not go to the proper power state.

I ran the ShellPackage.MSI multiple times, in as many configurations as I could but this did not resolve the issue. 

Even with Optane disabled the problem still occurs.

Troubleshooting information from: Workaround for Issue with Windows* File Explorer after Installing the... ( DID NOT FIX THE ISSUE )

Note: I have tried reinstalling the Optane program.

I've restarted Many times.

Ran the Optane repair tool.

killed the process (creates instability in Windows)

restarted Explorer.exe

• 1. Re: Intel Optane causes Explorer.exe to have high CPU usage
          ZeryChao

Same here. Explorer.exe, i9-9900K, 10%, identical. I took a look at the process via the Process Explorer, and I think the one "iaStorAfsServiceApi.dll!OptaneRegisterListener+0x5a88" and two or three  "ntdll.dll!RtlReleaseSRWLockExclusive+0x40" threads are on the top of the CPU usage list and causing the problem.

And while I was writing this comment, I can see chrome.exe is using about 10% of the CPU too. I gave it a check, and bamn, I found the exactly same threads "iaStorAfsServiceApi.dll!OptaneRegisterListener+0x5a88" and "ntdll.dll!RtlReleaseSRWLockExclusive+0x40" on the top of the CPU usage list.

I'm using Optane Memory accelerating my secondary HDD. Restarting this and that didn't help. I tried to suspend these threads and yes, the usage dropped. But the whole taskbar will crash when right-clicked on the icons along with the whole desktop UI. So the threads are critical and I don't think we have a solution here. I hope that we can find the cause and fix it the right way.

• 2. Re: Intel Optane causes Explorer.exe to have high CPU usage
            Michal B

Same here too on i7-8700k / Asus Z370-E,

but without any optane disk installed. I only have Samsung 970 NVMe PCIe4x.

Untitled.png

EDIT:

I think I've just found a temporary solution. Uninstalling 'Intel Optane Pinning Explorer Extensions' from applications solved these issues.

After uninstalling, my system was idle at 1-2%.

• 3. Re: Intel Optane causes Explorer.exe to have high CPU usage
              ZeryChao

Wow thanks! Your solution works for me, as our problems seem to be more similar. I'm using the Optane Memory accelerating my secondary HDD so I cannot use that pinning feature from the beginning. I'm still hoping someone at Intel could take a look at the problem though.