4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2010 9:28 AM by jorfanakos

SUSE Linux / S5000VSA / Network card problem

Hello -

I have been using SUSE SLES 10 SP1 on my S5000SVA for a long time without any issues ... until recently when I rebuilt it using the latest depolyment CD 2.5.3.

My new issue is now - after a cold boot / hard boot / or a reboot - the network cards are disabled (bottom right corner - red x).  The fix has is to go into YAST, go to network devices, network card, use the "user controlled with networkmanager" (default), next, and while reading the configuration ... the card gets enabled, the red x in the right corner goes away, and I simply exit the utility and YAST.

I tried issuing "ifconfig eth0 down" and "ifconfig eth0 up" commands in my /etc/init.d/boot.local file - as a workaround - but that does not work.

This is obviously a huge problem as I cannot remotely reboot the server.  Luckily this is a lab / test / sandbox server ....

I never had this issue in the past - and this is the first time I used the 2.5.3 CD.

Has anyone seen this problem before?

• 1. Re: SUSE Linux / S5000VSA / Network card problem

Normally, the deployment CD only updates BIOS/BMC/FRU.  Are you sure you didn't accidentally back-rev the driver?

What do you mean by "rebuilt", exactly?

• 2. Re: SUSE Linux / S5000VSA / Network card problem

Hello -

The deployment CD also contains the mega RAID drivers as well as the LAN drivers.  During install you can chose to use the drivers from the CD or get the latest drivers from the intel web site.  Trying to get the latest always results in errors when doing it for Linux ... on the last 3 or 4 revs of the Deployment CD ... so I use the ones from the CD.

By "rebuilt" ... I mean I reformatted the drives and did a clean install.

I have a work around in place ... which is to add the following line in the /etc/init.d/boot.local file .....

yast2 lan edit

This has the net effect of yast reading the lan cards / drivers ... which enables them ... which is what I was doing by using going into yast gui to "touch" or read the cards.

The command results in a harmless error ... in that I do not specify an interface  to edit .... so a message is produced stating no interface spcified to edit ... but you can see the red X in the bottom right corner on the networking icon go away and the interfaces get enabled when that command is run.

I could suppress the message but I wanted to see the results ....

Does this make sense?

• 3. Re: SUSE Linux / S5000VSA / Network card problem

But depending on when the CD was made, it might not have the most current drivers.  If you go to

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Server+Products&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+Server+Boards&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Server+Board+S5000VSA and click on SuSE Linux, and Drivers, there's drivers posted from this year.  Check to see if they're newer than the ones you're using.

• 4. Re: SUSE Linux / S5000VSA / Network card problem

I am currently traveling - I will compare when I get back.

One of the reasons for my post to see if others have this issue, or if this is a known issue.  As I said - this was not a problem when I uses the 2.5.2 deployment CD.

Also - during install - when the the OS install routine from the deployment CD checks intel.com for latest drivers ... it always errors when doing it for Linux - but always gets latest drivers for Window Server OS install.  It has been like this for the last 3 or 4 releases of the Deployment CD.

I did call it in to support once - and they did not have an answer.  His comment was "I don't use the CD - I install the drivers manually" ... but he was a really a Windows guy and not a Linux guy.