4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2010 2:08 PM by notsripted785

Core i7 memmory

notsripted785

Hello,

I am looking fowad to buy an Intel core i7 930, but I still have some doubts regarding the memory frequency.

Here http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=41447 you can read "memory types -> DDR3-800/1066", what does these means?

Does it means that I will only be able to use these RAM frequencies?

If I use different frequencies the CPU memory controller won't work?

Please enlighten me...

• 1. Re: Core i7 memmory
          PeterUK

Thats the intended supported ram speed for the CPU to support but many people (if not all) can run ram speeds of 1600MHz + just fine at that speed without downgrading the speed.

There is 100% no point in buying DDR3-800/1066 ram if you can get DDR3-1333/1600 for less.

• 2. Re: Core i7 memmory
            notsripted785

Thanks for your reply

Does it means that I can install DDR3-1333Mhz with no need to perform any tweak in the BIOS, just install the RAM and I am "good to go"? Or there maybe some tweaks that need to be done?

Yeah ddr3 1333 is alot easier to find and cheaper.

• 3. Re: Core i7 memmory
              PeterUK

It depends on what motherboard your getting (Gigabyte or Asus are good) and if the ram has pre-set settings for the motherboard to set its self up with.

But even then its just some settings to change.

• 4. Re: Core i7 memmory
                notsripted785

So if I use a Asus P6X58D-E with OCZ Gold 1333, it will self-configure?

I am still finding it confusing if the CPU memory controller suportes all the other frequencies, why are only those 2 of the suported mentioned? Is it 100% guaranteed that the CPU suportes above frequencies?

Not doubting of what you're saying just a lil insecure with this!