1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2010 2:34 AM by chrone

[solved] D510MO could not boot from flash drive

chrone

dear all,

using the latest BIOS 0303, i could not get this intel atom D510MO to boot from flash drive (ubuntu 10.04 live cd on a stick). it only can boot from usb dvd-rw.

is this a bug from the BIOS? thanks in advance.

kind regards,

/chrone

---

set the USB Mass Storage  Emulation Type option in BIOS to "All Fixed Disk" to solve this issue.

Message was edited by: chrone

• 1. Re: D510MO could not boot from flash drive
          D510MOUsr

chrone,

Have you resolved the issue?

I'm planning on upgrading my MB bios to 0303 I'm running ubuntu 10.04 server off the thumb drive

bests

-D510MOUsr

• 2. Re: D510MO could not boot from flash drive
            chrone

D510MOUsr, unfortunately i haven't solved it yet.

the newest BIOS for intel atom 330 desktopboard has this problem too. i hope the next BIOS version both desktopboard for atom 330 and d510 will resolve this issue. too bad it cannot boot ubuntu live cd installed in a flash drive.

• 3. Re: D510MO could not boot from flash drive
              D510MOUsr

chrone,

thanks for the reply

indeeds, this is very unfortunate.

Hopefully, Intel will resolve this issue soon

OTOH, could you revert it back to the older bios rev.?

-bests

DM510Usr

• 4. Re: D510MO could not boot from flash drive
                chrone

i wasn't trying to revert it back though. really looking forward for the next BIOS.

i love this D510M0 more than the atom 330 one. it's snappier. hope the next atom generation will be the new king of low power HTPC.

• 5. Re: D510MO could not boot from flash drive
                  dCrypt

I guess there is something related to the BIOS, because I was able to boot from a USB stick normally, until I flashed v0303 BIOS.

But, after lots of testing, I noticed that installing syslinux (http://www.hiren.info/download/dos-files/syslinux.zip) fixed my USB stick boot problems.

PS: I fixed my Hiren USB stick

• 6. Re: D510MO could not boot from flash drive
                    D510MOUsr

dCrypt wrote:

I guess there is something related to the BIOS, because I was able to boot from a USB stick normally, until I flashed v0303 BIOS.

But, after lots of testing, I noticed that installing syslinux (http://www.hiren.info/download/dos-files/syslinux.zip) fixed my USB stick boot problems.

PS: I fixed my Hiren USB stick

interesting, what os you installed on the USB flash drive?

Have you run into D510MO "Boot USB Drive First" doesn't work as well?                                                            

TIA

• 7. Re: D510MO could not boot from flash drive
                      dCrypt

Hiren's Boot CD, as I told in that post. Ubuntu wasn't fixed via this method, a non-working boot menu was generated.

• 8. Re: D510MO could not boot from flash drive
                        D510MOUsr

FYI,

there is a new bios version

BIOS Version 0311 - MOPNV10J.86A.0311.2010.0802.2346

About This Release:

 August 03, 2010

 Integrated Graphics Option ROM: 2001 03/01/2010

 LAN Option ROM:

o Realtek* PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller Series v2.35 (100614)

o Realtek PCI Express 10/100M Ethernet Controller Series v1.22 (100316)

o gPXE 1.0.0

New Fixes/Features:

 Fixed issue where all bootable devices except Hard Disk Drive disappear in Intel® Integrator Assistant boot order.

 Fixed issue where CPU Family shows Other Family CPU instead of Atom CPU.

 Fixed issue where Synch string is not shown when DIMM slot is empty.

 Fixed issue where any key of PS/2 keyboard can wake up system if power is lost then reapplied.

 Added 2x or 4x in display of L2 cache size, as appropriate for the processor.

disclaimer:  I have not used this bios version, nor I'm an Intel employee

• 9. Re: D510MO could not boot from flash drive
                          dCrypt

Thanks for the news. I have already installed this BIOS version, but I need some spare time to test it.

I'll let you know.

• 10. Re: D510MO could not boot from flash drive
                            chrone

Dear All,

I have finally able to boot from usb -installed with ubuntu 10.04 live- flash drive. The only thing that makes it work to boot is by ONLY setting USB Mass Storage  Emulation Type option to: All Fixed Disk. The Auto option didn't work.

Hope this will help everyone. Tested on 0311 BIOS version. Cheers!

Kind regards,

/chrone
                            everytime i get ahead, i feel more dead.

• 11. Re: D510MO could not boot from flash drive
                              intelstar

Chrone, did you try changing the ORDER in which BIOS will search for boot device ? Nevertheless congrats on your resolution

Dear All,

Although it is not recommended, should you absolutely need to install the older version of BIOS, here is wat you can do

-Obviously you wont be having option of downgrading the BIOS to older version !!

-You can do a BIOS recovery. This is different from the upgrade through *.exe file

-Download the *.BIO (not the ZIP or EXE file) bios file of the respective version.

-Copy it in formatted pen drive.

-Remove the BIOS jumper on the board completely.

-Insert the pen drive in back side (onboard) usb port, and power on your system

-Let the bios recovery finish

-Once finished (should take about less than 15mins), power off system (or it will power off by itself) and place back the jumper in 1-2 position. Power on system now

-You have now installed the BIOS of the version you preferred, be it oldest or newest !

Cheer

Intelstar

• 12. Re: D510MO could not boot from flash drive
                                chrone

Dear intelstar,

I have set the flashdrive to be the 1st boot device but it didn't work if the usb emulation type was set to Auto. So again, set the emulation type to All fixed disk resolves this issues.

• 13. Re: D510MO could not boot from flash drive
                                  dCrypt

Chrone, let me ask you one question: did you:

- Try to boot a live CD copied in a USB flashdrive?

- Do a complete installation of the OS in a flashdrive?

If the first is afirmative, how did you copy the live CD to the USB stick?

• 14. Re: D510MO could not boot from flash drive
                                    chrone

Dear dCrypt,

In other pc running ubuntu 10.04, you could create Startup Disk Creator in the System > Administration > Startup Disk Creator menu.

If you have ubuntu10.0.4.iso and a spare flash drive with 1gb minimum storage, then you could create a flash drive installed with ubuntu live cd with that tool.

It only took around more less 10 minutes to install a system on D510MO with an Ubuntu Live CD installed on a flash drive.

This live CD installed on a flash drive could be really helpful to backup your data on infected windows machine and so on.

1 2 Previous Next