0 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2011 9:01 AM by wesright

My X58 Northbridge(IOH) is "running" at over 120 C

wesright

Update: April 7, 2011

It's getting close to a year since my original post below. The PC is still running strong.

I checked the thermal paste even though I didn't think it was a problem since it was transferring the temperature through to the heatsink very well after all, and it was just fine.

I did add another fan to help in the cooling and it has helped some, in that under loads I am now seeing 94 to 96 C (201 ro 205 F) and occasionally under light loads or idle it's dropped to 80 or 85 C (176 to 185 F)

Lastly, I have seen a few posts from people having similar temperature issues with their X58's;however, most are around 60 to 71C (140 to 160 F), nothing in the higher ranges I was seeing.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello, I apologize if this was started elsewhere.  I tried searching the forums with no success.  I'm embarrased to admit that originally, when I bought this PC last year, I saw the high NB(IOH) temp but ignored it.  I thought it must be a bad sensor, diode, thermister, whatever.  After all, I didn't think the PC would run for so long at over 250 degrees F!!!

Regardless, since then I checked the heatsink with a laser non-contact thermometer and it is for real.  Under idle and light load, the temp runs at 119 to 122 C.  Pushing the system brings it a little higher.

The PC is a Gateway FX6800-01e with the TBGM01 motherboard.  Supposedly made exclusively for Gateway.

I've added hardware since.

Core i7 920

9 GB DDR3 Tri-Channel memory

1TB Seagate SATAII 7,200rpm

750 GB Western Digital 7,200rpm

ATI HD 4850 1GB (stock-came with 1GB instead of advertised 512MB.  Was lucky here)

Corsair TX750w power supply

Now, after this running this way for (embarrased to say this) over a year, I finally noticed that it's not a buggy sensor.  It's for real, so I started trying to cool things down. I added an 80mm Antec 3 speed fan to the side panel grill, just below the CPU "snorkel" blowing into the case towards the NB(IOH) heatsink.

This didn't change the temps much, if at all. 1 to 2 degrees C max. http://wesright.com/images/scrshot.jpg for a screenshot of the temps on the system at this time. The NB(IOH) is coming up as Aux in Everest.  Other utils, SIW for example, show it as TMPIN0, for what that is worth.

Since the chip had only a heatsink but no fan, I decided to find a fan to actively cool the heatsink.  I didn't find anything online I was immediately happy with, I went through my junk drawer.  I found a small heatsink/fan from an old 486 DX4 100 MHz build years back, and took off the fan.  Now, not trusting an old fan I didn't mount it directly to the heatsink.  It could die and further insulate the NB(IOH) and really fry it.  I used wire ties to mount it as close to 1.5 inches away from the heatsink as I could.  This way, if the temps shot back up I would know the fan has died and I can fix/replace it.  The system will shut down if the CPU or GPU temps go over critical, but obviously the NB(IOH) temps won't cause a shutdown to proect the system.  If it's not shutting down at 126 C (the highest I've seen it spike when pushing the system), then it won't until it fries something.

That seemed to at least bring it under 100C, which from the tech sheets it looks like it might be the limit for this chipset.  It now runs 89 to 91 degrees C under idle and light load.  Here is a screenshot of it after that fan was added.

http://wesright.com/images/scrshot-update.jpg

Another apology for rambling on but I wanted to make sure I passed on all the info that might help in analyzing the problem.

On a side note, in the last several months I've run Windows Vista, Windows 7, CentOS, Fedora, and a few others.  They all report the sensor temps pretty much the same.  Also, I'd doubt the sensor was really reading temps that high if I didn't confirm it with the laser thermometer.

Lastly.  No overclocking.  The Gateway specific motherboard and bios don't allow much of anything.  Plus, the system seems to run rock solid otherwise.

Ouch, I also forgot the chipset info:

Intel Tylersburg X58
      Revision / Stepping 12 / B2
      Package Type 1295 Pin FC-BGA

Thank you all for your time.

--Wesley

Message was edited by: wesright