4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2010 7:45 AM by Berne

Stressing CPU

Berne

Hi All,

I have just put together a new computer.

XPHOME

P4 3.2GHZ 2MB HT

640GB CAVIAR BLACK

500W SUPP

HD 1640 PCI EXP 16X

GIGABYTE G31M-ES2L

4GB DDR2

From time to time Im getting a frozen mouse and wonder is the CPU being stressed by the newer components in this rig?

All good advice welcome.

Regards,

Berne

• 1. Re: Stressing CPU
          mechbob

Use you key strokes control / Alt / Delete / all at the same time this will being up a screen click on windows Task manager , click on performance look at the CPU graph if the lines are all pegged out on the top of the graph if not , Look elsewere for the problem , like low battery in mouse if wireless weak signal relocate transmitter.If a wired mouse try a different USB port, If PS2 port get a usb mouse. Good Luck

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Stressing CPU
            Berne

Hi,

Yes good advice thank you.  In addition do you think the CPU ( 2004 standard ) is bound to be stressed with all other parts being 2008 standard?

Berne

• 3. Re: Stressing CPU
              mechbob

No I don't think any of your newer parts could hurt your CPU , I still run a old HP that I rebuilt , It's got the Intel Extreme ver. 3.2 cpu running Vista 32 bit with 4 gigs Ram and a 1 gig graphics card , Creative HD sound card , 3 different hard drives , 600 watt power supply , Rock solid and stable , my wife uses it for Her music library , she got about 160.000 soungs on I hope it don't crash before Iget her in the New machine that I built for Her. Back to the point it's real hard to hurt those old P4s.

• 4. Re: Stressing CPU
                Berne

Ok great, to backup my confidence though I found a programe called Prime95, you can Google for this....it will Force the CPU concerned to superstressed levels over a period of time and produce a filed report, which it seems is easily enough understood and interpreted, even for a Newbie like myself.

Nice to meet you, thanks for your replies and take care.

Berne