7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2010 5:06 PM by Curious592

Desktop Utilities Hangs on Starting

gawhitemt

I have a D945PVS desktop board, BIOS 0103, and running Windows XP home with SP3.  Desktop Utilities 2.1.9.66 (the latest for this board) recently has been unwilling to start.  It will start, then I get an error message that "service program is not active".   When I look at what services are running, I find that "AdminWorks Agent X6" is starting, and keeps starting as long as Desktop Utilities is installed.  The service options to Start, Stop, Pause, etc. are blanked

out.  Desktop Control Center 2.0.0023 also hangs on starting, but simply hangs without giving any error messages.

Has anyone come across any cures for this problem?

• 1. Re: Desktop Utilities Hangs on Starting
          Curious592

Some changes can cause this.  I don't recall exactly but they are probably hardware changes.  I have always been able to restore it by simply removing and reinstalling it.  I believe XP has more problems with it but it probably still isn't a signed application.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Desktop Utilities Hangs on Starting
            gawhitemt

Thank for the suggestion Curious.  However, I think what started the problem was updating the Intel Pro Network Drivers and the Intel Matrix Storage Manager.  I had to roll back the network drivers, because the new drivers did not let me access the internet.  I have rolled the Matrix Storage Manager back and forth several times, and have uninstalled and reinstalled the Desktop Utilities several times - all to no avail.  Any other suggestions?

• 3. Re: Desktop Utilities Hangs on Starting
              Curious592

Unfortunately the system with my records is not accessible for a while and much about this issue was probably hand written (so not searchable).  I seem to recall there being such a problem with XP and 98.  Back then I resorted to a clean install if there were other issues.  Vista and Win 7 provide very good system recovery options.  While I really like the utility, I don't rely on it as much now concerning SMART and power quality.  Other windows functions or utilities may be needed to make it more aware.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Desktop Utilities Hangs on Starting
                Curious592

Perhaps you could try installing the new Network driver again.  Were there any messages associated with that installation?  Drivers can be corrupted even after download.  In my case the icon was replaced by a generic icon which helped in the diagnosis.  I believe ECC memory may be experiencing a comeback, although no one wants to pay for it.

• 5. Re: Desktop Utilities Hangs on Starting
                  gawhitemt

No, no messages.  I just could not get online.  A redownload/reinstall is worth a try.

• 6. Re: Desktop Utilities Hangs on Starting
                    mechbob

Can I make a sugestion next time you install the program do it off line and disable all of your security software before installing the program , It will help with a clean install.

• 7. Re: Desktop Utilities Hangs on Starting
                      Curious592

It appears that simply applying a BIOS update can solve Desktop Utilites malfunctions even if that is not specifically addressed by the BIOS.  My records are incomplete on this matter.  If you do not otherwise need a BIOS update a clean install may be best.