5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2010 12:35 AM by bunny

    Windows Server 2008 with 82578DM loses IP Addresses on Re-Boot

      Connectivity to one or more IP addresses listed for the adapter lose connectivity after a re-boot.

       

      I setup the machine IP addresses using the Network Manager in Wondows Server 2008. A small block of IP address with subnet 255.255.255.224.

      When I first rolled out my machine addresses from .98 thru .115 were un-pingable. Addresses above that up to 225 were pingable.

       

      I started to drop and re-add the lower addresses and eventually they all came back.

       

      I had to re-boot the other day and the .98 address became un-pingable. I dropped the IP address, yet it still appeared in the list and did not save.

      I have yet to get .98 to be pingable. I have already rolled out a series of websites and my DNS to the new machine. I update my dns to be at the .98 address and some connections from other machines to come in on this address. I have since moved the address to point to the .125 address.

       

      I downloaded the latest 64-bit driver and installed it. No change.

       

      I am really afraid to reboot the machine as I don't know which IP addresses will be lost forever.

       

      Trying to figure out how to get support on this issue.

       

      Any help will be appreciated.

        • 1. Re: Windows Server 2008 with 82578DM loses IP Addresses on Re-Boot
          mark_h_@intel

          Hi David,

          Have you resolved this issue? I am curious about anything you found out.

           

          Mark H

          • 2. Re: Windows Server 2008 with 82578DM loses IP Addresses on Re-Boot
            bunny

            I just ran into something similar I think.

            Since no one can actually afford server motherboards, or find them in Akihabara, I have a DQ57TM running W2k8 R2.

            The driver is supposedly 15.5 but inside it says:

            driver date 2010-04-12, driver version 11.6.92.0

             

             

            After running the fileserver for a while, with dismal performance reminiscent of maxed out 100meg on a hub.

            The most throughput so far has been 13%, The interface spuriously stops working.

            There are no event log errors, nothing, it just stops hearing anything, it can send out dhcp requests and junk to its heart's content, but nothing comes back. I have verified that it is deaf and am now convinced it is the drivers. I have an identical board at home running W7 with no problems at all.

             

            Reseting the interface gets it back for a short period, maybe a few minutes.

             

            Turning AMT off solves nothing, just tried that. I can fiddle with adaptor settings and get nowhere.

             

            I have no idea what is causing this deafness. Has anyone else seen this problem?

             

            Message was edited by: bunny

            • 3. Re: Windows Server 2008 with 82578DM loses IP Addresses on Re-Boot
              bunny

              After wasting many hours...

               

              Drop kick .net 4 and it stopped going deaf. That really inspires me.

              All is not perfect as throughput still isn't going over 10% but its managed to stay connected and moving packets for over 2 minutes! (7m, 2.2gb so far.)

               

              spoke too soon, deaf at 10 minutes!

               

              Message was edited by: bunny

              • 4. Re: Windows Server 2008 with 82578DM loses IP Addresses on Re-Boot
                mark_h_@intel

                I have heard of cases where the BIOS on a motherboard can cause similar symptoms, but I am not aware of any issues specific to your desktop board. Your desktop board BIOS has had several updates since the original release. A BIOS update might help.

                 

                Mark H

                • 5. Re: Windows Server 2008 with 82578DM loses IP Addresses on Re-Boot
                  bunny

                  Thanks for the hint, I checked. This is a brand new board that I bought last week.

                  The mystery deepens and I am beginning to wonder if I have a specially sick board. -..-

                  At first I thought dropping .net 4 was the solution. No, but it lasted a lot longer. I appologise for that red herring.

                   

                  -----

                  Survey says. I do have a sick board.

                  Getting this RMA'd will be fun, as technically it works, just not for very long.

                   

                  How I checked this:

                  An older board, BIOSed up to the same, configured with the same settings.

                  Powered up and immediately I can get 55% of GigE uploading to it. (Likely limited by the barracuda LPs it is using.)

                   

                  Message was edited by: bunny