5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2010 1:46 PM by jimmo

How to enable SOL on a DQ45EK system?

jimmo

Hi!  I've been trying to dig up information on how to enable serial-over-lan on a system with a DQ45EK motherboard (BIOS rev 0107, Nov 13 2009 and CPU E8400).

It appears that I need to enable this feature in the MEBx which, apparently, can be entered via <ctrl+p> when prompted.  However, the system goes straight from the BIOS splash screen to the boot process without ever offering this prompt.  I've tried going into the BIOS with F2 and have created an ME password etc. but the only SOL/IDER option is a choice between kerberos vs. user/password authentication.

I'm sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I must be missing something.  Can anyone provide any guidance?  Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: How to enable SOL on a DQ45EK system?
          jimmo

Sorry for the bump - but does anyone have any ideas?  I'm still drawing a complete blank on this and its a showstopper for adopting this board in our product.  Thanks!

• 2. Re: How to enable SOL on a DQ45EK system?
            Curious592

There are other options that can be enabled in the BIOS.  These will then be displayed as listed options when problems occur but you should be able to select another F option at the same time as you would F2.  I don't recall MEBx but I don't have this board.

• 3. Re: How to enable SOL on a DQ45EK system?
              jimmo

Yes, there is an alternative F-key to get a boot menu and on some systems this includes a boot option for entering MEBx but that's not the case for this board/BIOS revision.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply - much appreciated!  Unfortunately I've had zero luck on the "ask the experts" forums too, so I guess nobody knows or has much experience with this board.  It's a shame, because its otherwise ideal for our product.

Thanks again...

• 4. Re: How to enable SOL on a DQ45EK system?
                Curious592

I have been interested in the AMT technology (for BIOS updates) but the need to have all systems enabled and the maturity of it have deterred me.  The network management difference is beyond my experience.  There may be an intent to distinguish these systems from traditional networks, with different hardware.  I'm curious how Microsoft's Home Server fits in.

• 5. Re: How to enable SOL on a DQ45EK system?
                  jimmo

Solved!  It turns out you don't need to find this option to enable SOL, as it's "on by default".  Simply enabling the engine and then connecting to port 16994 via amtterm (or whatever) seems to work.  It's simpler than the docs would have one believe