1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 28, 2010 2:37 PM by Diego_Intel

Freezes inside BIOS setup; Computer restarts/crashes randomly

Tuey_dog

Subject says it all. If I go into the setup things will work for a while and then I will get a slight distortion of the image displayed on the screen which I usually take as a good indicator that the box has frozen. Now the time I can stay in setup varies. Sometimes it's instant and sometimes nothing happens but it will always eventually freeze up. The particular page in the setup window has not shown to be a factor.

Now when I let the computer boot into windows everything seems fine until either the same thing happens (screen distortion and having to force a restart via hardware button 'Distorion is much larger when in windows') or the computer itself just restarts out of nowhere like it overheated. I did alot of thermal testing for that particular reason. But with an open case and a 20'' fan blowing directly into the case at 2 feet away I find it hard to beleive I'm still overheating when this happens. The windows crashes are more frequent with more computer activity. Specifically gaming or watching movies. The computer seems to do find when I'm running programs that are not image intense. Adobe soundbooth and what not don't seem to cause any problems.

I'm trying to get some insight to what is causing it. I've been doing alot of hardware changes to test and monitoring temperatures but it's not a heat issue as far as I can tell (Only thing that seems different is when my standard 20$ NVidia VGA card is inserted by itself the computer lasts longer). Temperatures on my CPU are between 40-50 Celcius and my Xfire ATI Cards (5770) are kept at about 60-70 Celcius with an average internal temp of about 30-40 Celcius.

I had seen a thread mentioning replacing the CMOS battery could help issues with the BIOS freezing but I haven't tried that yet. If someone could give me some pointers as I am unfamiliar with these strings of symptoms as every encounter I have had in the past it was usually a dirty heat sink or some other overheating problem or a good old BIOS update would fix it.

Here's the system info

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name LODOSS

System Manufacturer INTEL_

System Model DX48BT2_

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q9650  @ 3.00GHz, 2997 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. BTX3810J.86A.2006.2009.1023.1057, 10/23/2009

SMBIOS Version 2.4

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"

User Name

Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 8.00 GB

Available Physical Memory 6.34 GB

Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB

Available Virtual Memory 14.1 GB

Page File Space 8.00 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

• 1. Re: Freezes inside BIOS setup; Computer restarts/crashes randomly
          Diego_Intel

Try using the motherboard with the minimun components possible to isolate this issue to a few devicces, test this with the system out of the chassis, placed on a non-conductive surface like a newspaper, a magazine or something similar, so be sure to test only with motherboard, power supply and processor, one stick of memory, keyboard and the video card, check using only the system BIOS.

In the other hand, let me know what is the part number and manufacturer of the memory sticks you have tested with?