11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2014 9:27 AM by arvindabz

How to get SMART data?

zilonx

How can I get SMART data from ICH10r raid group member disks?

I need monitoring of drive temperatures.

• 1. Re: How to get SMART data?
          Aryan2411

Hello,

Try this tool:

http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-4446

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

• 2. Re: How to get SMART data?
            zilonx

Thank you for help. But this tool do not does what's needed - fom the maker:

"

System requirements:

A hard drive and BIOS that supports SMART, plus compatible    drivers. Most recent hard drives are OK but drives connected via SCSI or  hardware RAID   will not work. But drives connected via SATA (serial  ATA) are supported. Drives configured as software RAID (dynamic disks)  via Windows Disk Management will also work

"

http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

• 3. Re: How to get SMART data?
              spearson

If you download the Intel(R) Quiet System Technology (QST) Software Development Kit (SDK), source code (no binaries) is included that can be used to build tools that can access S.M.A.R.T. data. This includes specific APIs that can be used to obtain temperature information from the drives. There is a rudumentry (console) support tool that can display this information included as well. Again, this is a source code SDK; there are no binaries included; you will need development tools to build the support DLL and support tool...

• 4. Re: How to get SMART data?

Is there any updated info on getting SMART data from ICH10 RAID member disks? I would really like to be able to get access to temperature data of drives within the array. I know this can be done my HighPoint Technologies 2640x1 can show me SMART info for all 4 of my disks in RAID5. Why can't the Intel controller show me the same information in the Intel Matrix Storage Manager?

• 6. Re: How to get SMART data?

Thank you for your posting. This tool does allow me to see the SMART data of drives within the array even if they are not Intel drives.

I would still like Intel to incorporate this feature into the Storage Manager in future versions.

• 7. Re: How to get SMART data?
                    Mordachai

I too would really like this data to be available in RST.  It's silly to have to go hunting this down.

Generally speaking, the RST should track SMART data for the drives int he array, and give early warning if something is reading out of spec (e.g. high temps, excessive bit errors, etc.).

• 8. Re: How to get SMART data?
                      Perplexer

I just want to add something very important. I run a 5-drive RAID-5 array on an Intel ICH10DO (similar to ICH10R). I have been playing around with different scenarios which I documented at http://communities.intel.com/thread/4181?start=0&tstart=0

I was also wondering how to see S.M.A.R.T. data of my RAID-5 member drives since you can't do it if you have the controller set to RAID mode and not AHCI (well, apparently now you can with Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox, but let's presume you don't use this). I changed the controller mode in BIOS from RAID to AHCI so that my drives would be recognized as single drives. I rebooted into the OS and was able to check individual drive's S.M.A.R.T. status. After I was done, I went back to BIOS and changed AHCI back to RAID and thought that the computer will boot back into the OS and see the drives as one RAID-5 volume again. Wrong! After I changed the setting from AHCI back to RAID and rebooted, the RAID-5 array was in a DEGRADED state with the first drive (on port 0) marked as Non-RAID drive. Apparently changing the mode from RAID to AHCI will damage/erase the first drive's metadata, degrading the RAID-5 array. Even though the drive was not touched (written to), the metadata was lost and RAID-5 volume could not simple be "restored to normal". It could only be "rebuilt to a new disk" since this disk was recognized as a standalone disk now. A rebuild worked OK though.

I then thought I would do it differently. I shut down rhe computer with the RAID-5 array, took the drive out and inserted it into another computer to check S.M.A.R.T. data. I then put the drive back into the computer with the RAID-5 array and turned it back on. The result was the same as before. RAID-5 volume was degraded because the first disk (on port 0) was no longer a RAID member. Obviously just inserting this drive into another Windows computer will delete the RAID metadata off of it.

I tried the same with other drives (on port 1, 2, 3, 4) and those did not suffer the same fate. They could be tested for S.M.A.R.T. errors on another computer and then put back. Only the first drive of the RAID-5 array should NEVER be unplugged and inserted in any other computer.

I do not know what causes the drive to lose it's metadata (whether it is Windows which do something to it or something else) so if anyone knows, please reply.

• 9. Re: How to get SMART data?
                        arvindabz

Hi zilonx,

I can see this post is quite old, but I thought it would be worth a shot.

I have been reading your inquiry. Did you manage to use the Intel(R) Quiet System Technology (QST) Software Development Kit (SDK)?

We also have ICH10r raid group member disks and we would like to get SMART info.

Do you have Intel mother board?  We are having problems running the bat files (BuildAll.bat), do you maybe have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

• 10. Re: How to get SMART data?
                          sylvia_intel

Arvindabz, this is a very old thread and I noticed that you opened a new one at the Server’s community.

We are going to keep working with you on the new thread at Get SMART info from ICH10r raid controller(onboard)?       

Regards,

• 11. Re: How to get SMART data?
                            arvindabz

Thank you very much.

Best regards

Arvind