7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2010 11:06 AM by Curious592

DG45ID "Video Error" when using HDMI audio

spivonious

Here's my setup:

HTPC -> Receiver (HDMI) -> TV (HDMI).

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and have the latest video drivers installed.

If I set the HDMI audio device to output stereo (from the Windows audio control panel), everything works fine. I get 2-channel PCM unless the source is encoded in DD/DTS, in which case I get those bitstreamed to the receiver. I would like to get TrueHD/DTS-HD, so I set PowerDVD 9 Ultra to decode the audio for me and send it out of the HDMI port using LPCM. This will only send a stereo signal unless I changed the Windows setting to 5.1. So I change the setting, run through the test, everything is working fine. My receiver shows "MULTI IN" and I get sound on all channels when watching a DVD or Blu-ray.

The problem happens when I try to watch live or recorded TV in Media Center. The picture will play with no sound for 2-3 seconds, during which my receiver acts like it doesn't know what type of signal it's receiving. It starts on "multi in", then tries DD, then drops to 2-channel PCM, at which point "Video Error" is displayed on the screen. I now get no audio at all until I close Media Center and either change the HDMI setting to stereo or run another program that generates audio.

I can play the recorded TV files in Media Player without issue, as long as I run another audio program first. If I don't, I get Media Player's version of the "Video Error" (i.e. missing codec message).

Changing the HDMI back to stereo takes me back to error-free playback, but I lose the ability to send anything more than 2 channels unless it is bitstreamed.

There are others experiencing the same issue, who have reported it in the DG45ID thread on AVS Forum (www.avsforum.com).

I have chatted with two different Intel support techs, and neither had any solutions. My latest support ticket is 8000056933.

Is there anyone else here who can reproduce the issue? I would really prefer to stick with my current setup, as adding a video card would just generate heat and noise.

edit:

Computer Specs:

Intel DG45ID motherboard

Intel Celeron E3200 CPU

2x1GB DDR2 800 RAM

500GB WD SATA2 hard drive

Lite-On BD-ROM (SATA 2)

Hauppauge HVR-1250 TV tuner

ATI TV Wonder 650 TV tuner

Antec Micro Fusion 350 case/power supply

Receiver: Denon AVR-1610

TV: Panasonic TC-P50S2 (replaced Vizio VX32L with the same issue)