1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2016 3:04 PM by Intel Corporation

Password forgotten for Windows , changed bios settings

14nickintel

Hi, I changed a bios setting...I added a bios password and can remember it. Thats ok, I can get into the bios. But I changed a bios security setting to View Only.

I also added a Windows 7 password and have forgotten it. I did not make a password floppy disk. How do I reset the computer to clear the Windows7 passsword? I tried clearing the CMOS but the passwords did not clear.

Now, written on the black screen is,

"Enter password to unlock the system"   ...3 lines are reading the same words...

Password check failed.

Please refer to the Product Guide at Http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/

Fatal Error...System halted.

I get passed this message into the bios using the password, it is only the Windows7 password I forgot and can not enter Windows operating system.

• 1. Re: Password forgotten for Windows , changed bios settings
          hecongyan

Windows 7 now are popular PC system in our daily life.
          IF you using Windows 7. There are some steps for you to following in recovering password:
          1. Try leaving the password blank. More often than not, the Administrator password doesn't exist at all! Just press Enter without typing anything when asked for it.
          2 . Enter the password to your account. Often times, depending on how Windows 7 was setup on your computer, the primary user account will also be the administrator user account.
          3 . Try to remember your administrator password. If you installed Windows 7 on your computer yourself, you probably set the administrator password during the Windows 7 installation process. If that's true, you might be able to make really good guesses at what the password might be.
          4 . Have another user enter his or her password. If there are other users that have accounts on your Windows 7 computer, one of them may be setup with administrator access.
          5 . Recover Windows 7 administrator password using a Windows password recovery tool. Password recovery tools are software programs recover Windows 7 password without reinstalling the OS.
          6 . Perform a clean installation of Windows 7. This is a last resort option. This type of installation will completely remove Windows 7 from your PC and install it again from scratch.

• 2. Re: Password forgotten for Windows , changed bios settings
            Boyet

You can try this free password recovery software.

• 3. Re: Password forgotten for Windows , changed bios settings
              14nickintel

Hi there, thank you for replying.

Ophcrack is a huge download but I may have to download it. I do have a crack password boot cd I use sometimes to find clients passwords. l may not have used it properly when I tried using it before I posted here but I could not get it to boot the computer.

Remember, I changed the Bios Security setting to "View Only" so it seems the user, me, can not change the security settings and it also seems it will not boot from a boot cd. When I scroll down the Bios Security page, the accessible items are highlighted as usual, but they are now innaccesible. I think the boot from cd is like that also.

If I reinstall Windows7 from the DVDs will the Bios settings return to default because I tried a Bios hard reset and the Bios settings did not change at all. I think I have locked the computer Bios.

Thinking now, maybe the bios can be accessed by Network and I have a Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2009 Special Edition here that has a Network feature which I have not used yet. But still the computer may not boot from cd.

I am not sure I can accesss the Boot Menu to boot from CD anyway.

If I reinstall Windows7 will the bios settings return to default because the Bios settings did not return to default after I performed a Hard Bios Reset proceedure.

I do have a Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2009 Special Edition boot cd which usually boots any computer to the Hard Disk tools oin the cd and it has a Network tool, but I have little idea what to do with it, I can try to boot the computer with the cd but that will be guessing on my part.

• 4. Re: Password forgotten for Windows , changed bios settings
                Boyet

Rereading your original thread and your last thread the bios security setting that you mention is actually the harddisk bios security setting. Am I right? If yes, sounds like you have a different brand of motherboard. Probably a Dell?

The windows password recovery software applies only to software password recovery. So to use this since your problem is the software aspect and the bios restrict writing to the harddisk, you must first disable the bios security setting for the harddisk.

• 5. Re: Password forgotten for Windows , changed bios settings
                  14nickintel

The View Only setting is not allowing any use of the bios, it is going to have to be cleared somehow. The computer will not boot from a floppy or a cd.

It is a Cyclone mainboard, a New Zealand company, with Intel Chipsets.

It was nice finding the Ophcrack software and I downloaded them anyway and find a use for later.

• 6. Re: Password forgotten for Windows , changed bios settings
                    14nickintel

The computer will not boot from floppy or Cd and a recovery does not seem to want to begin. THefloppy disk drive LED reamins litwhen the computer is powered on.

I seem to have locked myself out of the computer.

• 7. Re: Password forgotten for Windows , changed bios settings
                      Boyet

I'm not familiar with that board. If it is an intel board there is a setup that will recover the password in case you forgot it. In your case if your board does not have such a feature your only recourse is to call the manufacturer of the motherboard to help you out with the recovery. Of course you have to be ready with all your documentation to prove ownership of their product.

In the case of the floppy or cd did you format them to be bootable?

• 8. Re: Password forgotten for Windows , changed bios settings
                        14nickintel

Quoting Boyet  "If it is an intel board there is a setup that will recover the password in case you forgot it. In your case if your board does not have such a feature your only recourse is to call the manufacturer of the motherboard to help you out with the recovery."

Yes, I formatted the floppy. But the computer will not recognize any changes or a floppy diskette or a boot cd. Interesting to note the floppy seems to be unuseable after a failed Bios Recovery. The ID on the floppy disk is there no longer....!

I have the Bios Password but I can not do anything in the Bios now because the View Only setting is activated.

And I have forgotten the Windows7 password. I do not mind reinstalling Windows7 but will a reinstall and format remove any Bios limitation...I do not think so at this point.

The printing on the mainboard reads D945GTP D945PLM printed as I typed them here. I tried the Bios Recovery process but the computer seems to reboot constantly after inserting the floppy diskette and the floppy disk drive LED stays lit green. The Rom drive spins up every 45 seconds during the recovery attempts indicating to me the computer is rebooting.

I have flashed a few dozen bios ok and have run a bios recovery successfully once before much to my delight I must add. I have a second D945GTP D945PLM mainboard due for the same treatment lined up for some bios recovery treatment soon, lol. Love it when a bios flash works....but that successful bios recovery was quite a thrill. The D945GTP and other D945 chipset mainboards are great and nearly as good as the dell gx620 for quick response....I just had to say it.

• 9. Re: Password forgotten for Windows , changed bios settings
                          Boyet

I tried reading the recovery of your board D945GTP and it says you need a thumb drive. I use a thumbdrive in my system and I find it effective compared to the cd/dvd or floppy drive. I suggest you try this out first before going into formatting your hard drive which takes time. I cannot assure you though that formatting the drive might erase the password control of the bios for the hdd if you have not reset the bios. Maybe low level formatting the hdd in another computer and re-installing windows in your comp will do the trick, again, I can't guarantee it.

• 10. Re: Password forgotten for Windows , changed bios settings
                            14nickintel

Boyet , thank you for the link to the Bios Recovery webpage. The video presentations there are very nicely done. I tried looking for the Recovery webpage for the 945GTP last night and did not find it and could only get hints as to what to try though a link in a forum here at Intel.

I do not have a thumb drive, but I could afford one soon and I can try with the .ISO bios file.

Formatting the hard drive...the hard drive is partitioned. Should formatting the main boot partition, C: in my case, on the hard drive have the same affect as formatting the whole hard drive? I keep backups and install files on smaller partitions for reinstalling the operating system.

• 11. Re: Password forgotten for Windows , changed bios settings
                              Boyet

First of all, for the recovery method using the thumb drive the .BIO file is needed not the iso file. You need the iso file for cd/dvd method. With regards to your backup and installation files it is not advisable to place them in the same physical drive. They may be in a different partition but it is still in the same physical disk. Use a different media or disk instead. Since you have two partition, formating the boot partion only is possible and so as the whole hard disk. However, for the whole harddisk you may either erase each partition and then re-partition then format or format each existing partition.

• 12. Re: Password forgotten for Windows , changed bios settings
                                14nickintel

The bios settings are changed to View Only and I find that is so when I enter the bios using the password I did not forget. Using the recovery method has not worked to clear the CMOS to the default settings so I fail to see what difference it would make trying to use a thumb drive.

I am waiting for the mainboard to unelectorcute itself......I have disconnected the power supply and CMOS battery and all other connections hoping that is what is required to have the bios die on itself but I feel it will not return to defaults. I am hoping it does and will know this by tomorrow.

There must be a way of having the default bios settings "return to the mainboard".

I may not have completed the initial Bios Recovery properly and can try again if the CMOS hard reset does not work.

Oh paranoia....I only wanted to have the computer secure.

Message was edited by: Nicholas Baker

• 13. Re: Password forgotten for Windows , changed bios settings
                                  Boyet

This refers to thread number 11. In that thread I am responding to thread number 10 where you mentioned that maybe you can afford to buy a thumb drive and would try the .iso method. Thus the explanation on what bios file to use.

I understand that you can enter the bios but cannot change the settings because you have set it to view only (I must say that this is the first time that the view only setting has come up with Intel's board - perhaps it is a modified board specific only to New Zealand?). In previous threads I have provided information for you to try based on what Intel have provided to owners of their board and some software to recover the password made through the OS. I also have made suggestion that if all else fail in the case of the bios the only last hope for you would be for the manufacturer to provide you with their own solution (if there are any and if they are willing to provide them) aside from the ones provided in their owner's manual and in their website. I did not mention the totally draining out the power of the board as what you are doing now because I have assumed that you have done that when you do the recovery method. I am only limited to what is being provided in this thread. Anything not provided I can't take into consideration or I assume that it is being taken cared of. I do have other solutions but they are I believed too difficult to implement in our own level.

• 14. Re: Password forgotten for Windows , changed bios settings
                                    linky1124

If you don't want to change the password:

1 > Get a program called Ophcrack(very large. 496Mb)
                                    2 >> Download the liveCD (ISO)
                                    3 >> Burn the ISO to a CD using an ISO burner
                                    4 >> The Live CD's come with the free rainbow tables, so you might need to download other tables (cost money)
                                    4 >> Bootup from the CD
                                    5 >> Crack the SAM and System file

Or try these free Windows 7 password reset methods!

1 2 Previous Next