5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2014 8:30 AM by BillyData

ICH10R How to Restore RAID-5 drives after a CMOS reset?

wesleywilson

When loading BIOS Defaults (F5), or when a CMOS Reset is performed, the  BIOS setting 'Configure SATA as' reverts to the default [IDE] mode. This  setting should be set to [RAID] again before allowing the OS to start  up.  If you are like me, Windows booted *before* I had a chance to set  the BIOS back to [RAID]. The result?

Of the 6 drives discovered  by the ICH10R controller in my RAID-5 array, just 4 drives correctly  remain identified as "Member Disk" (ports 1-4).  But 2 drives were reset  to "Non-Raid Disk" (ports 0 and 5).  So I'm sure the actual data is  still on the 2 drives and I need to get them back into the array without  losing the data.  I can use <CTRL><I> to get to the ICH10R  config page,  reset all to Non-Member and recreate the array?  But I believe doing so  will result in total data loss. Any suggestions on how to get those  drive "re-labeled" as members of the array without losing the actual  data.

Intel Matrix Storage Manager ROM 8.8.0.1039 ICH10R wRAID5
      1.  Create RAID Volume
      2. Delete RAID Volume
      3. Reset Disks to  Non-RAID

Port  Size         Type/Status(Vol ID)
      ----    --------         -------------------
      0     1397.2GB  Non-RAID Disk
      1     1397.2GB   Member Disk(0)
      2     1397.2GB  Member Disk(0)
      3     1397.2GB   Member Disk(0)
      4     1397.2GB  Member Disk(0)
      5     1397.2GB   Non-RAID Disk

Thanks,

Wes

• 1. Re: ICH10R How to Restore RAID-5 drives after a CMOS reset?
          Victor_Intel

Unfortunately there are no options to recovery your RAID.

You may look over the Internet for a data recovery software to be able to recover some of the information on your array.  If you find one, you may need to set your hard drives as non RAID by selecting the option "Reset Disks to  Non-RAID"

PV

• 2. Re: ICH10R How to Restore RAID-5 drives after a CMOS reset?
            coert

I just hit a very similar problem.  Three drive RAID5, with only one of them recognized as a member disk.  I get the impression w7 messed with other two drives.  More details at

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/260132-32-cmos-clear-ich10r-windows7-raid5-failed

Recovery software (r-studio) finds bits and pieces, but judging from some jpeg files, the first drive appears to be at an unknown offset.  My stripe size is 32k.

• 3. Re: ICH10R How to Restore RAID-5 drives after a CMOS reset?

I am sorry to hear this happened to you too.   I just had this happen tonight. After reading your msg. and a couple of others in similar predicament, I felt it was pretty grim!

But I've returned half hour later to post this: I changed BIOS setting back to the proper: importantly; Mode: RAID (XHD) on Gigabyte, it came back after having been through Windows 7 , showing multiple individual drives.

Now have 3 drive RAID5 array 42% through 'verifying'.

PHEW.

Good luck, its not over 'til its ...  oops clunk ...

;-)

Toby

• 4. Re: ICH10R How to Restore RAID-5 drives after a CMOS reset?
                coert

Thanks.  It took me a *long* time, but I got my data back.  After some educated guess work r-studio managed to complete the puzzle.  I will post the details on tomshardware next week.  I finally relaced the ICH10R with a hardware RAID card.  There just is something fishy with that ICH10R.  Before its firmware update (9.6 if I remember well), I the RAID5 degraded about once a month.  I RMA'ed many drives to WD, only to get the same degraded RAID5 after a month.  Then suddenly after the upgrade, it appeared normal but FAILED after a few months.

• 5. Re: ICH10R How to Restore RAID-5 drives after a CMOS reset?
                  BillyData

Realizing this post is very dated, I wanted to share a few things related to RAID 5 recovery. And it mainly pertains to Victors response. There are ways to recover RAID as we see in the final post by OP. The recommendation by Victor shows that there are many people who have no clue and also gladly share misguided information that could potentially ruin the attempts and outcomes of people getting their data back. There are a few steps to recover RAID 5 arrays outlined in that link that if you cannot at least accomplish those, then you really have no business attempting to get your own data back. Unless of course there is nothing of importance on there, and if you lost everything it wouldn't matter. There are plenty of companies out there that do data recovery on this level like SERT Data Recovery, DriveSavers, KrollOntrack just to name a few. It's always best to consult the professionals in case you don't get as lucky as OP.