Oops -- in the previous post I had meant put /var/log in a separate partition, not /var/lib.
We are still working on the best method for posting the SW for the community. There are limitations on the size of the files we can post here, so we are looking for alternatives.
We have noticed after creating the /var partition that when Ubuntu is loading we see some errors mentioning ureadahead, but doesn't crash our boot process. We will update our guide to suggest partitioning /var/log to prevent this for others.
The SCC specific files are now in ubuntu.tar.bz2 whcih is uploaded to Intel SCC Software.
Babu - I haven't been involved in assembly and setup of the SCC system yet, but was thinking of one suggestion for your network problem. If you can put two network interfaces in your host, then one can be on your department network (e.g. DHCP would be fine), and the other could have a static address with which to talk to the BMC (either by crossover cable or switch). You wouldn't even have to route between the interfaces, unless you wanted to be fancy.
Others can probably comment more on the tradeoffs of this, but I wanted to offer it as a potential lead.
This is exactly the setup I will be trying out -- 2 interfaces on the host pc, one with a static address for the BMC, the other the office LAN. The config files posted by Ted and Brent also suggest this method. The only change that I am trying out is to set everything up using dynamic addresses on the LAN side. I have configured bind without the external IP address specified, and have changed dhclient.conf to ensure that resolv.conf gets setup properly. It seems to work correctly, in terms of resolving the rck* addresses, office machines, and Internet-wide addresses correctly. I haven't yet tested whether things continue to work if DHCP changes the IP address on the fly.
Here is a summary of my changes from the supplied instructions for using DHCP:
In /etc/network/interfaces, I set eth0 to use DHCP:
iface eth0 inet dhcp
In named.conf.options, I did not add the query-source address line after the forwarders line.
I did not change resolv.conf (since dhclient blows away any changes anyway). Instead I added the follwoing lines to /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf:
prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
append domain-name " rck in.rck.net rck.net";
(Note: in the last line above, there is a space between the quote and rck -- this is important, do not omit it!)