6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2010 4:52 PM by pspillai

scc host software installation

pspillai

I am strating to setup the host machine for the SCC system in Pittsburgh.  Thanks Brent and Ted for sending the general setup instructions.  Will these instructions and the tarball be posted to this site? 

The basic setup seems pretty straightforward for anyone with some Linux experience.  Basically, start with Ubuntu 10.04 (lucid), add a custom PCIe driver, install bind for SCC core name resolution, setup an NFS share, and install a few standard packages.  Finally, install the main set of software (sccKit), and compilers, etc. 

At this point, I have already run into two issues.  The instructions suggest using a separate /var partition, presumably to avoid problems with runaway log files, etc.  Unfortunately, Ubuntu 10.04 by default uses ureadahead to speed up boot times.  This seems to be incompatible with a separate /var partition and crashes on startup, occasionally preventing the system from booting.  It seems to need /var/lib/something to work, but this is not mounted at startup, so it fails.  My workaround is to only put /var/lib in a separate partition.  This should prevent runaway logging from killing the rest of the file system, yet allow the boot optimizations to work. 

The second issue is that the instructions suggest using a static IP address for the host.  This seems to be needed to allow the bind configuration to work properly, and to avoid having a DHCP client from destroying changes to resolv.conf.  By default, the networking here uses dynamic addresses.  It will take IT intervention and perhaps a couple of days to get a working (ie, won't get assigned to someone else) static IP.  So I will try to see if I can get the host to work correctly with a dynamic address.  I will let you all know if I was successful (or not). 

- Babu

• 1. Re: scc host software installation
          pspillai

Oops -- in the previous post I had meant put /var/log in a separate partition, not /var/lib.

- Babu

• 2. Re: scc host software installation
            BOBNO123

We are still working on the best method for posting the SW for the community.  There are limitations on the size of the files we can post here, so we are looking for alternatives.

Bob

• 3. Re: scc host software installation
              bwforge1

We have noticed after creating the /var partition that when Ubuntu is loading we see some errors mentioning ureadahead, but doesn't crash our boot process.  We will update our guide to suggest partitioning /var/log to prevent this for others.

Thanks

• 4. Re: scc host software installation
                tedk

The SCC specific files are now in ubuntu.tar.bz2 whcih is uploaded to Intel SCC Software.

• 5. Re: scc host software installation
                  knauerhase

Babu - I haven't been involved in assembly and setup of the SCC system yet, but was thinking of one suggestion for your network problem.  If you can put two network interfaces in your host, then one can be on your department network (e.g. DHCP would be fine), and the other could have a static address with which to talk to the BMC (either by crossover cable or switch).  You wouldn't even have to route between the interfaces, unless you wanted to be fancy.

Others can probably comment more on the tradeoffs of this, but I wanted to offer it as a potential lead.   

• 6. Re: scc host software installation
                    pspillai

Hi Rob,

This is exactly the setup I will be trying out -- 2 interfaces on the host pc, one with a static address for the BMC, the other the office LAN.  The config files posted by Ted and Brent also suggest this method.  The only change that I am trying out is to set everything up using dynamic addresses on the LAN side.  I have configured bind without the external IP address specified, and have changed dhclient.conf to ensure that resolv.conf  gets setup properly.  It seems to work correctly, in terms of resolving the rck* addresses, office machines, and Internet-wide addresses correctly.  I haven't yet tested whether things continue to work if DHCP changes the IP address on the fly.

Here is a summary of my changes from the supplied instructions for using DHCP:

In /etc/network/interfaces, I set eth0 to use DHCP:

auto eth0

iface eth0 inet dhcp

In named.conf.options, I did not add the query-source address line after the forwarders line.

I did not change resolv.conf (since dhclient blows away any changes anyway).  Instead I added the follwoing lines to /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf:

prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;

append domain-name " rck in.rck.net rck.net";

(Note: in the last line above, there is a space between the quote and rck -- this is important, do not omit it!)

- Babu