4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2010 10:47 AM by Salem_Intel

Auto reset AAM Value on reboot?

lch2003

Hi,

DG45ID is always reset the aam value on my wd harddisk. This increase the random access time and performance.

Are there any bios update to prevent it?

• 1. Re: Auto reset AAM Value on reboot?
          Salem_Intel

Hi!

I confirm there is no fix, per se, noted on the BIOS Release notes for the Intel(R) Desktop Board DG45ID. I'd recommend the following to begin troubleshooting:

1. Clear the event log and load BIOS default settings:

Restart the system into BIOS by pressing <F2> during the boot process.  Once in the BIOS setup utility, press <F9> to restore BIOS default settings.  Reset any customized BIOS settings. Clear all DMI event logs by setting the option to "Enable", which is located in the Advanced/Event Log Configuration section of the BIOS Setup utility.  Press <F10> to save the new settings and reboot the system.

2. Ensure the hard drive in question has the latest firmware.

• 2. Re: Auto reset AAM Value on reboot?
            OldSchool

DQ45CB is plagued with this issue, too. AAM locked on quiet is a 'feature' of Intel QST, AFAIC. So whoever introduced this annoying bug thought that any Intel board user suffers from hard drive seeking noise so much that AAM should always be locked at 128 for any and all hard drives. I agree that could be regarded as a feature of QST, but then there has to be a way to turn this AAM lock off, an option in the BIOS or something. Or just disable AAM contol altogether and let the user/system integrator decide what's best for them. After all, AAM can be set easily from Windows, but not on the board in question and DQ45CB.

Please fix this BIOS bug for DQ45CB, too, please. P45 board owners received a BIOS fix, there's no reason we shouldn't - small boards need AAM too, you know.

What's interesting, the DQ45CB behaves exactly opposite to ASUS P5K-VM I had an experience with earlier. The P5K-VM would always set AAM to 'disabled' or 254 no matter what. This 'feature' was touted as 'ASUS AI Lifestyle'. Just like with present day DQ45CB, I did not want that kind of a 'lifestyle'. The system had a Hitachi HDD which absolutely needed AAM contrary to WD Blacks for example which sound just fine with AAM disabled and there was no way to enable AAM on the P5K-VM. And now I have a board on which it's impossible to disable AAM. LOL I guess, but nevertheless this AAM thing should be taken out of the BIOS of DQ45CB completely and the board in question as it's not a feature if you can't control it, it's a bug.

• 3. Re: Auto reset AAM Value on reboot?
              Salem_Intel

Hi!

I  appreciate your feedback and will make sure your comment reaches the proper department for consideration. I do wonder if you followed my previous suggestions, though.  Please, confirm.

• 4. Re: Auto reset AAM Value on reboot?
                lch2003

Followed and no improvement.