1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 15, 2010 12:11 PM by Dan_O

Problems with DIMMs on S5520SC Mother Board

I've a motherboard model S5520SC with two E5540 1066MHz Xeon Processors.  I have 6  KVR1066D3Q8R7S/4GI DIMMs.  I've checked the DIMMs and as far as I can tell they are all fine, and these DIMMs are on Intel's approved list.

According to the manual, I populated DIMM A-1, B-1, C-1, D-1, E-1, and F-1 with my six DIMMs.  But I get an error message that DIMM B-1 (and SOMETIMES F-1) has failed.  I moved the DIMMs around, but I got the same error message. When I remove the DIMMs from C-1 and F-1, I get no error message and I get the full 16 Gb @ 1066 MHz.  

If I populate A-1, A-2, B-1, B-2, C-1, and E-1, I get the full 24 Gb with no error message but only at 800 MHz.

What is going on???? 

I've spent a LOT of time trying to pin point the problem, but I am running out of ideas.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• 1. Re: Problems with DIMMs on S5520SC Mother Board

Your first population is correct - A1, B1, C1, D1, E1, F1

Have you done a memory retest, in the BIOS, and updated the BIOS/BMC/FRU to the latest version?  If you've done that, and you always get errors on B1, regardless of which DIMM is in there, it might be a faulty board, or the DIMM might not be getting inserted correctly.