1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 11, 2010 10:04 AM by mechbob

DX58SO General Question

Amtrak288

I built a system back in March that consisted of a DX58SO Motherboard paired up with a Core i7-920 CPU using Kingston HyperX DDR3 RAM.  The machine ran fine until about 3 weeks ago when I powered up the machine and out of the blue, it powered down for no reason.  After some serious troubleshooting, I determined that one of the memory sockets had gone bad in the motherboard.  I contacted Intel and was able to RMA the bad motherboard.  Not knowing how long it would take to get the replacement, I ended up buying a second DX58SO motherboard.  I replaced the bad board with this second one and outside of having to re-activate Windows 7, everything has functioned perfectly. I only had one concern though.  The second motherboard has soldering flux all over parts of it.  The bad board didn't have any that I noticed and the replacement board that Intel sent me back has no flux on it either that I could see.  This new board is functioning perfectly, with that in mind, should I be concerned about anything?  I've read about this type of thing on other sites and most people say its part of the manufacturing process.  Anyone have any thoughts on this.  The new board has been in my machine for about 2 weeks and has worked flawlessly.

• 1. Re: DX58SO General Question
          mechbob

If it ain't broke don't fix it. But if you have to fix it you will have to pull the board and use NON-conductive Electronic Parts cleaner and a brush to clean the flux. Don't  Think you want to go through all that Unless you are concerned about apperence>>