1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2011 2:13 PM by painter

DP55WG does not boot after BIOS update 5531

nospam21k

Dear Community, dear Intel,

after flashing the fimware of my DP55WG board withe the latest BIOS update 5531 it does not boot any more. Flashing withe the windows exe seems to be successfull: after displaying the flash process in text mode it said reboot your computer and has rebooted without any interaction. But then the display stays dark.

Fortunately, I could reanimate the board with recoverding to BIOS update 4905 which works flawlessly for me (exept noise control).

Did anyone succeed or also fail?

Thanks,

Chris

• 1. Re: DP55WG does not boot after BIOS update 5531
          Cpt.Dogfruit

Try updating to 5531 with teh recoverymethod.

As a personal opinion...NEVER EVER use the windows .exe to update the BIOS.

• 2. Re: DP55WG does not boot after BIOS update 5531
            nospam21k

Thanks for the fast answer.

Now I tried it with the F7 method and an USB thumb drive. The same bahavor: after a successful flash and an automatic reboot stays the screen black, ie, the screen says no signal.

Did you successfully flash a DP55WG with 5531? Or an DP55KG for which the formware also fits?

Is there anyone who was successful with a DP55WG? I doubt that.

As already mentioned, the flashing seems to succeed. I think there is a bug in the bios software 5531!

Many thanks again,

Chris

• 3. Re: DP55WG does not boot after BIOS update 5531
              Cpt.Dogfruit

Yeh i got a KG updated to 5531 with teh recovery mehtod and a sub pendrive

• 4. Re: DP55WG does not boot after BIOS update 5531
                whale

I have successfully updated my DP55WG to 5531 using the F7 method.

• 5. Re: DP55WG does not boot after BIOS update 5531
                  nospam21k

Today, it seems like Intel has removed the 5531 version for both Boards DP55KG and DP55WG from the download center. At least when searching via the option boxes Desktop Boards -> Intel 5 Series Chipset Boards -> DP55WG -> BIOS the latest version displayed is the old 4905. Direct links to 5531 work however. Maybe this is an indicator that Intel knows of problems... And if so it is not very kind to explicitly not inform people about that

• 6. Re: DP55WG does not boot after BIOS update 5531
                    nospam21k

Today BIOS 5531 is found again by the download search as described above. WTF?

Now there is another posting in this forum which warns to do the update to this version. Same problem then.

• 7. Re: DP55WG does not boot after BIOS update 5531
                      painter

I have been despearte for getting a number of BIOS problems "fixed" by Intel and as such have loaded each new BIOS update as timely as I can.

I just loaded BIOS 5531 and it has completely diabled my system.

Here was my procedure coming from the previous BIOS 4905

1. Placed the .bio on my CD, booted and hit F7
                      2. Selected my CD drive and after the 60 sec delay the list of .bio files appeared (I have reported this problem and it is one that I want fixed).
                      3. Select the latest .bio file. The computer auto powes off within seconds and then displays the flashing messages. The messages report all is well and requests that I reboot.
                      4. The system power cycles/reboots even before I can reach for the controls.
                      5. It will not boot. This bios fails to initialize sufficiently to even get the graphics card operational. I mannually power cycle and hit the reset button but it continues to act the same. It continues to cycle in an attempt to do the bios initialization.
                      6. The LED codes cycle through 36, 21, e0, 4e, 60 generally ending on 21 for a few seconds and then repeats. There may be other codes but they appear so fast I cannot catch them. The graphics card never comes on.

I'm not sure how to get past this since I cant get enough functional operation to put the previous BIOS version back in.

This is a VERY SERIOUS problem. Intel, please fix this!

painter

• 8. Re: DP55WG does not boot after BIOS update 5531
                        kamhung

Change your GPU to GTX460+ can solve this and you will get extra memory

I got the same case as you before when I have used GeForce 9600GT on my DP55WG. I would like to update the bios because the release note said there would be an addition of 256MB RAM usable when more than 3GB RAM is installed. Before updating the bios. I checked that 2.99GB/4GB RAM could be used in my 32-bit Windows 7. It is known that my GeForce 9600GT used 512MB of memory address. However, I don't know where the remaining reduction of 512MB RAM go. Then I updated my bios and it does not boot.

After I upgraded my GPU to GeForce GTX460 768MB, I checked that 3.24GB/4GB RAM could be used in my 32-bit Windows 7. So, the new GPU with more VRAM release the missing 512MB system memory. Finally, I update the BIOS to 5531 again and it can boot now. I check again the system memory. It is 3.49GB/4GB now. Really added 256MB RAM from 5531 BIOS. Hope this can help .

• 9. Re: DP55WG does not boot after BIOS update 5531
                          painter

Thanks for the input but switching the GPU is not feasible.

So, are you saying the problem is in the Intel BIOS 5531 or the GeForce 9400GT?

Seems to me that if the GPU worked on Intel BIOS 4816 and not on 5531 that it would be an Intel problem...

painter

• 10. Re: DP55WG does not boot after BIOS update 5531
                            kamhung

The Intel BIOS 4816 had no problem to boot when the installed GPU was GF 9600GT but it reduced additional 512MB of usable RAM (GF 9600GT already reduced 512MB of usable RAM). So, the total was 1GB.

The Intel BIOS 5531 had problem to boot when the installed GPU was GF 9600GT.
                            The Intel BIOS 5531 had no problem to boot when the installed GPU was GF GTX460 also it added 256MB of usable RAM (GF GTX460 768MB reduced 512MB RAM only).

• 11. Re: DP55WG does not boot after BIOS update 5926
                              nospam21k

Dear Community,

dear Intel,

I resolved the issue by replacing the Club 3D video card to an ASUS Nvidia GT 430 card and all newer BIOSes worked. Now I have a dejavu when trying to Update the BIOS from 5924 to 5926. Same thing, system does not boot and beeps twice (video not found). Do I have to buy a third graphic card? This night mare cannot be true ;-(

The 5926 version claims in its release notes to solve issues with not found graphic cards. Isn't that pure irony?

Intel please help.

Chris

• 12. Re: DP55WG does not boot after BIOS update 5926
                                nospam21k

Dear Community,

dear Intel Support,

the problem vanishes if using only one of my 4 x 2GB Memory modules in Channel A Slot 0. However, when reinserting the other 3 modules the system does not start, beeps 2 times, and does not find the video card.

This is seems to be a known problem according to the german Intel support. However, they told me that they cannot fix it ;-(

Note: my main memory are Intel certified Kingston modules for the DP55WG!

Chris

• 13. Re: DP55WG does not boot after BIOS update 5926

You are helpless ! You need to change graphics card or... motherboard ! Unless if you will follow the next method with a small sacrifice.
                                  Same thing  happened to me ! Solution: Bios Recover method to older Bios, trying one version older each time till will work !
                                  To me worked just trying one version older.
                                  Well till INTEL will make a newer better BIOS ! Although is a bit complex situation !

• 14. Re: DP55WG does not boot after BIOS update 5926

The problem in 5926 version with the video card.
                                    I found a simple solution - put in one of the old AGP card and a memory chip.
                                    PC booted up, downloaded the 5924 version (.exe version), and flash the BIOS.

Good luck to all.

1 2 Previous Next