Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

Questions about overclocking a core i7 cpu

idata
Employee

I want to build a pc & I'm wondering about overclocking a core i7. Does overclocking void the warranty? What is the maximum rated voltage of the cpu? Does the RAM voltage have to be the same as or similar to the cpu voltage?

I think that the process is as follows: increase the clock speed until Windows crashes & then increase the voltage until Windows is stable. Then repeat the process. Am I correct?

Thank you.

David

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

As far as all current CPUs go it does void your warranty. max voltage will depend on teh CPU you have. There is indeed arelation between RAM voltage and CPU as the RAMcontroller is in the CPU.

There is lots of information regarding this on teh web, im sure a google will help, but to get you started have a look here:http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/22106-core-i7-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm not sure that I would overclock the CPU. Maybe a "mild" overclock. I need an overclocking a core i7 for dummies list of instructions. I'm sure that there is plenty of information on the internet about overclocking a core i7.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

core i7 920 especially D0 stepping overclocking can be a lot of fun. In most cases that cpu can easily reached 3.2Ghz to 3.6Ghz without even bumping any core voltage in the processor. The max voltage i think is 1.55v on the vcore. Regarding your ram question, it really depends on your ram. Some RAM have rated voltage of 1.65 while some have 1.6 and the new rams coming out are rated at 1.5v. Be sure to read the rated voltage. Almost always it is printed in the ram itself.

In the BIOS setting, the stock is almost often set to auto which is equivalent to 133 Base clock. This is what you will alter if you want to overclock your system. Be sure to check the ram frequency as well as some of the board increases the ram frequency while you are altering the Bclk. This can result to no boot which can be easily corrected by clearing the cmos ( some boards are by pressing the clear cmos switch at the back panel or in the board while some boards needed to short 2 pins to clear cmos )

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

What is stepping? You mention D0 stepping. I've read about C0 stepping. It's confusing to a newbie like me.

I know that RAM comes in different voltages. Should the RAM voltage be basically equal to the CPU voltage? If one raises the CPU voltage, should the RAM voltage be raised as well? If RAM is run at less than its stated voltage, would it be unstable?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sorry for confusing you. ANyway i hope below answer can explain it further

1. Stepping - You have to look at the box of your processor. If it says SLBEJ in the SSPC Code then that means you have the latest and greatest stepping from intel which is a D0 stepping. Older stocks usually comes with SLBCH which is C0 stepping. Major advantage that i have seen from C0 and D0 are.

- D0 stepping are relatively colder than C0 stepping

- D0 stepping can overclock pretty well. you can easily reached 3.2 - 3.6Ghz without even adjusting core voltage. C0 stepping needs a lot of voltage.

2. On your ram and voltage question. The answer is for mild overclocking --> No. The ram voltage can be set default voltage depending on your ram as stated in my previous reply. The Processor Core voltage can be set to 1.25 to 1.55 ( do i do not recommend this 1.55 for daily used ). Some board and processor combo can reach 3.6Ghz - 3.8Ghz by just 1.25 - 1.28 vcore . If you increase the Bclck then the ram speed will also go up, you need to find the multi/ratio for your ram and lower it so that it will still be within the ram spec.

BTW if you will be doing some overclocking, be sure to look for aftermarket cooler to ensure that your processor will be running at good temperature. Intel stock cooler are not that good. My stock HSF from my processors just became paperweight in my house ...hehehe

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Please explain what stepping is.

Please explain the following:

D0 stepping are relatively colder than C0 stepping.

What do you mean by "colder"?

If you increase the Bclck then the ram speed will also go up, you need to find the multi/ratio for your ram and lower it so that it will still be within the ram spec.

What is the multi/ratio?

Message was edited by: pcnerd

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Please answer my previous questions about "colder", etc.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Obviously he means that the processor produces less heat while it's running, and will thus probably overclock better...

0 Kudos