Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Intel Processor ID utility wrong results

idata
Employee

Hello I have a Dell Optiplex 170L

Windows XP Home Edition

Intel Pentium 4

the problem is that everytime I run Intel Processor ID the computer freezes for a minute and it gives me wrong readings:

6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello;

What I recommend first is to perform a BIOS update on your system, you can contact your system manufacturer.

Make sure that your processor is properly detected in the BIOS, if in the BIOS you get the correct speed and processor information the problem might be related with the operating system

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thx for helping me,:I already have the latest bios update from Dell also I have the right processor speed and info in the bios.When You say the problem could be related with the OS what could it be?

I ran the Intel Processor ID utility version 2.8 and it gives me the right info.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello;

If the BIOS and the Intel(R) processor Identification utility is giving you the correct information this means that your processor is running as expected and the newer version of the processor identification utility may not support your processor since it was intended to work with newer processors

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks again for your help.The strange thing is that I used to run the newest Processor ID utility version without a problem and according to intel site the ID utility should work with my processor.This problem started around 3 weeks ago.what´s wrong?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello:

The problem might be related with a operating system registry problem, you can try to back up your data and then reinstall the operating system again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks again.I don´t want to reinstall the OS.I just realized that the problem could be the chipset driver,I downloaded a newer chipset version from Driver Detective 3 weeks ago and that´s when the problem started,I´m gonna have to reinstall that chipset driver from Dell.Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos