1 Reply Latest reply on May 27, 2010 5:48 AM by Pesticide

DX 58SO Memory Problem 16Gb or not?

Shruleman

Hi, This is my first ever ever posting on any site! I would appreciate some help with the following problem.

I run an Intel i7 965 @ 3.20Ghz and Intel DX 58SO board. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

I bought 4 x 4Gb Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2 RAM as the board specs say it will take 16Gb. Expensive - €760

The computer  will boot with 3 sticks inserted (12Gb)

However it will not come alive if I insert the remaining 4Gb into the black socket.

I have tried many variations / combinations but to no avail. I am now stuck with 4Gb of expensive Ram -I would much prefer to have it churning HD video!

Any answers, please?? Thank you

• 1. Re: DX 58SO Memory Problem 16Gb or not?
          Pesticide

have a look at your motherboard manual, one of the memory slots is slower then the others, and since we have tripple channel only 3 dimms will offers you the best performance.  The fourth is merely a feature but it will hurt perfomance by 5-10% i think and i reccomend not using the 4th slot.

If performance is not your goal but quantity is, then i cant really help, no idea why it wont come alive with memory in the slot, maybe it has something to do with it wanting to run in triple channel but it cant.