4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2011 8:51 PM by Cristov

Can ICH8R/ICH9R SATA RAID Controller support eSATA Port Multiplier?

Hello,

I just put together a mass storage solution from Addonics. I have a 9-bay HDD enclosure with one, 5-port Port SATA Port Multiplier installed. Today I hooked up three, 2TB drives to it and connected it to my PC.  Unfortunately, it only recognized & installed drivers for the drive I have in bay 1. I was able to format that one and it works fine, but despite many reboots and power-offs, I cannot get my PC to recognize the other 2 HDDs.

I know for a fact that this Port Multiplier itself supports the recognition and use of up to 5 individual drives, so my concern then became my the SATA controller in my PC.  I used device manager to determine that I have an Intel ICH8R/ICH9R SATA RAID Controller. When I looked up the specs on Intel's SATA controller versions/models, it seems that ICH8R may not support Port Multipliers but ICH9R specifically says that it does support them. I'm a bit confused why the model number of this controller reflects both the 8R & 9R.

Can anyone confirm that this controller does indeed support port multipliers?  I'm just trying to narrow down where the problem migth be.

I'm running a Dell XPS-420, about 2 years old, with Vista 32-bit and an Intel X-38 chipset.

Thanks for any suggestions!