14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2010 12:39 PM by Pesticide

DX58SO + BIOS update = Overclock goes down the crapper

Thefinaleofseem

I was a few BIOS updates behind on this board and saw that POST time had been significantly reduced in an earlier update. I upgraded the BIOS without a problem...and watched my overclock go right to hell. My i7 920 was running fine and stable at 3.7ghz, ~1.2v. Now I can't even get close to that without the darn thing getting stuck in a power up, shut down, power up, shut down loop. I have to pull the plug and let the board drain before it'll boot again.

THANKS INTEL! Your QC team is unmatched!              

• 1. Re: DX58SO + BIOS update = Overclock goes down the crapper
          Thefinaleofseem

Downgraded back to the December BIOS and it's working just fine again. Tried the February update, but had the same problem. Any BIOS for this thing with a black/white theme instead of the usual blue/grey is worthless. With the February update, it wasn't even stable at stock settings! Oh, and did I mention that the only way I've EVER been able to update the BIOS on this thing was to pull the CMOS jumper and load a new one from recovery mode. Anything else would just reboot and sit at a permanent black screen. And I'd have to unplug it and let the board drain before it would work again. And that would always reset my CPU multiplier, but nothing else in the BIOS.

This is the first and last Intel board that I will EVER use. This thing is crap.

• 2. Re: DX58SO + BIOS update = Overclock goes down the crapper
            lordgllynn

You should never update the BIOS with it overclocked. Before updating any BIOS, set your system to factory defaults. Then re-adjust your settings as you see fit. Good luck.

• 3. Re: DX58SO + BIOS update = Overclock goes down the crapper
              Pesticide

Unfortunatly i have to confirm this post. My smackover board was running 200 (*16) BCLK just fine with the 5200 bios, after setting the optimized defaults back and flashing to 5312 it wont event boot into 180 BCLK and gets stuck in the power up dont post power down randomly routine as described the the original poster with the settings i had before the bios update. And to respond to your tip lord, its not necesary to flash to defaults, if it was intel would have a warning screen preventing us from updating the bios for sure if it has risky settings .

my question : can i simply flash back to 5200 without any troubles ? And what bios has given you guys the highest stable bclk overclock ? I got stuck at 200 bclk, anything upwards was to unstable.

• 4. Re: DX58SO + BIOS update = Overclock goes down the crapper
                bofors

I also want to confirm that the DX58SO BIOS ver. 5314 also crippled my overclocking.

Somehow it limited my BCLK to about 160 (3.2 GHz base CPU), with the previous BIOS (ver. 5200) I can easily POST at BCLK of 215 (4.3 GHz base CPU).

Thanks for wasting our time and yours with this crap, Intel!

• 5. Re: DX58SO + BIOS update = Overclock goes down the crapper
                  bofors

Pesticide wrote:

my question : can i simply flash back to 5200 without any troubles ?

Yes, you be able to flash back to the 5200 BIOS with no problems, but you should reload the default BIOS setting first (don't flash when overclocking) and you might have to set the SATA drive to IDE mode if you are using the ISO CD to flash.

• 6. Re: DX58SO + BIOS update = Overclock goes down the crapper
                    bofors

Complaints about this BIOS should be sent to:

crmotherboard@mailbox.intel.com

(Don't put up with any "we don't support overclocking" nonsense either, this is a defective BIOS. Period.)

• 7. Re: DX58SO + BIOS update = Overclock goes down the crapper
                      bofors

I have just got some more information on this issue.

Apparently, Intel is deliberately trying to limit overclocking to about 30% above the stock clock speed.

In other words, the DX58SO BIOS version 5413 was deliberately crippled and unless we can get Intel to reconsider this new policy, the rest will be too.

• 8. Re: DX58SO + BIOS update = Overclock goes down the crapper
                        Pesticide

bofor you have made your point, please stick to facts now and refrain from raving and ranting. Share with us facts like what was you highest clock before and after , etcetera that intel people can use to track down the problem. Raving and ranting will accomplish nothing.

• 9. Re: DX58SO + BIOS update = Overclock goes down the crapper
                          bofors

Pesticide wrote:

bofor you have made your point, please stick to facts now and refrain from raving and ranting. Share with us facts like what was you highest clock before and after , etcetera that intel people can use to track down the problem. Raving and ranting will accomplish nothing.

Ranting and raving?  Are you kidding me?

Tracking down the problem?  Didn't you read my post immediately above?  "Intel people" have informed us that this was a deliberate crippling of the BIOS.

In the last week, I have just bought no less than 3 DX58SO boards.  I suspect that if we start pointing out what a threat this crippled BIOS and any related Intel 30% overclocking limit policy is to the future sales of Intel Extreme Edition boards to the proper management figures, that Intel is likely solve the problem here.

Now, since you asked for it, how about some bone fide ranting and raving?

The DX58SO BIOS's have been terrible from the get-go.  When the board first came out, it was limited to 2 GB RAM modules or 6 GB in triple channel mode (and dual channel was not supported).  Compare that to 24 GB of others.   EVGA can even get 6 DIMMs slots on a microATX x58 board, compare that to the DX58SO's 4.  I even read that version 5020 of the DX58SO BIOS bricks some boards.

The 5200 BIOS is flaky too.  It regularly get its into a bad state when overclocking where POST fails in "configure" mode.  That should never happen.  When I try to load the "recovery" BIOS from CD that seems to fail too (but indirectly solves problem).

Cheers,

~bofors

• 10. Re: DX58SO + BIOS update = Overclock goes down the crapper
                            Thefinaleofseem

I should probably note that I did reset the BIOS to defaults prior to flashing. The bottom line is that Intel completely screwed up (maybe deliberately) with this BIOS update. It also doesn't change the fact that I've never been able to properly upgrade the BIOS. I've only been able to flash it in restore mode by moving the jumper and using the image on a thumbdrive. This board just plain sucks. Intel should stick to CPUs, not motherboards.

• 11. Re: DX58SO + BIOS update = Overclock goes down the crapper
                              Mikeric

I Just updated my bios and am having the same problem. What bios have people had success moving back to? If they are doign this i think it is a very bad idea. These boards already had a reputation for not being the best overclockers. I had my bios set to defaults when i updated it also.

• 12. Re: DX58SO + BIOS update = Overclock goes down the crapper
                                Pesticide

I can report I am back at 215 BCLK*15 since I reverted back to the 5200 bios. At this setting i had to change memory from rated 777 timings to 888  and running at 1720 mhrz (7200qpi) (1600mhrz rated) to be game stable. Multiplier at 15 locked, no turboboost with all default voltages for a nice 3.2ghrz overclock without going to hot.

I even managed to boot at 220 BCLK but could not get it gamestable ( think my memory is culprit).

For games this is NOT worth it, maybe 1 fps difference on my medium end ati 4870. My memory benchmarks increased with about 15%. The reason I need the extra bandwith is for livestreaming and encoding while gaming. If i was not doing this I would stay at 133 BCLK, high multiplier and stick to turboboost as it saves a lot on energy that way and no real performance difference.

Also another problem I have is that it will not boot up properly at a cold boot, everytime i come back from work i have to turn on pc, turn it off again because it wont post at all (black screen, fans running), wait for it to tell me my settings where wrong and then press N to try again and only then it boots with the stable settings... . This problem does not exist at 133-160 bclk.

I wish intel would find a fix for the cold boot problem, and the infitive boot loop it usualy does before it offers you the option of reverting your settings. I have no need for 5314 bios format.

• 13. Re: DX58SO + BIOS update = Overclock goes down the crapper
                                  bofors

bofors wrote:

"Intel people" have informed us that this was a deliberate crippling of the BIOS.

I just to follow up with information that I have got which indicates that Intel acknowledges that the 5314 BIOS is flawed and is working to fix it.

I also want to mention that in contrast to what I was told before from an informed source, I no longer believe that Intel deliberately crippled 5314.

Nonetheless, for 5314 even to have been released, there must be some serious management and engineering problems in the BIOS department.

• 14. Re: DX58SO + BIOS update = Overclock goes down the crapper
                                    Pesticide

great news guys, the latest bios update allowed me to boot with my overclock that i had with the 5200 bios version, a cool 215 BCLK game stable!  ALso there seem to have been some booting loop fixes so with some luck my annoying cold boot loop is also gone, buit can not tell yet. will let you know when i get back from work tommorow

video: http://www.justin.tv/pesticide/b/266017823