2 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2010 6:53 AM by Hawkman2k

SU7300 vs SU9600 for HP Touchsmart TMT2 Laptop

Hawkman2k

I am about to purchase my Daughters first laptop, who has her heart set on an HP Touchsmart Laptop.

She in not interested in a gaming PC per se, but I am sure she will end up purchasing some titles that are

available for the XBOX 360 so she doesn’t have to compete with her brother for playing time,

HP offers 2 chip upgrades to either the Intel(R)Core(TM)2 Duo SU7300 (1.30GHz, 800MHz FSB)

or the Intel(R)Core(TM)2 Duo SU9600 (1.60GHz, 800MHz FSB).

The SU9600 upgrade is an additional $200 and I am not sure what advantages the SU9600 may provide

that would make it worth the money.

Question: If these 2 chips were identical in all other ways, how much more speed

Would that .3 GHZ really make?  Is the 9600 3X as fast or 20% faster?

Intel furnished me with the a comparison chart that pointed out the following architectural differences

Cache: 

The SU7300 has 3(MB) Intel Smart cache while the 9600 was 3 (MB) of L2 Cache

Question: Is there a noticeable speed difference between these two types of cache?

Instruction Set:

The 9600 has a 64-bit instruction set while the 7300 has something called an SSE Instruction set extension.

Question: Would the fact the 9600 has a true 64bit instruction set make a noticeable difference in speed?

Intel Trusted Execution Technology: 9600 only

Question: Does this technology increase performance or reliability

This is not my area of expertise and with getting some informed answers I no matter what

I choose I know I’ll always wonder if I made the right choice.

Any advice that you may offer would greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post!