2 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2010 7:38 AM by hyzerfool

DP35DP won't boot with 2 video cards installed

hyzerfool

Motherboard is Intel DP35DP w/ 8 GB of RAM

Power supply is Antec BP550 plus

I'm trying to add a second video card so I can go from 2 monitors to 3.

Existing video card is nvidia 7200 GS (PCIe x16)

New card is Sparkle nvidia GeForce 8400 GS (PCI)

Machine boots fine with either one in by itself.

When I try to boot with both cards in, I get message telling me that no boot device was found and pointing me to the intel support website.

The RAID manager message never shows when I have both cards in.

It does tells me to hit F2 to enter BIOS setup, but doesn't let me in no matter how many times I hit F2.  With either card in by itself I can get into BIOS setup with no problems.

I upgraded to the latest version of the BIOS today but it didn't fix it.

My first thought was a power supply issue. The machine has 3 hard drives (2 in RAID array), I disabled the 3rd hard drive and the DVD drive (to reduce power load) but got the same result.

I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: DP35DP won't boot with 2 video cards installed
          Cpt.Dogfruit

Erm... it won't work... it not supposed to work like that i am afraid, you are confusing the motherboard. The way to egt two graphics cards in is via SLI or crossfire, and then they have to or should be teh same model and same connector type.

• 2. Re: DP35DP won't boot with 2 video cards installed
            hyzerfool

I am certainly not an expert on this, but from all the reading I've done, SLI and Crossfire are meant to use multiple GPUs to improve performance on a single display.  That's not what I want to do.

I want to have multiple displays.  I have 2 monitors right now and want to add a third.  As far as I can tell, everyone agrees that to do that you simply add a second video card.  There are warnings about driver incompatibilities and whatnot, but I haven't even gotten to the operating system yet.