1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2010 12:35 PM by pchokola

DP55KG: Intermittent No Boot With POST 21

pchokola

So, I have successfully been using the Intel DP55KG motherboard for several months now without any problems, except recently two things occurred. First the Intel Desktop Control Center refused to start up, and now the system intermittently will not boot. The boot problem has happened about 6 times in the last month. The computer powers up (fans running, lights on, etc), but stops booting with a POST number of 21, which is listed as “initializing a chipset component”. Immediately manually rebooting the computer with the reset switch has always solved the problem. This is the first time I looked at the POST code, so I do not know if post code 21 is repeatable yet. I will be checking that at the next bootup failure. I am running the most recent BIOS (4905), but I do not know whether the problem occurred for sure in the previous BIOS's as well. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: DP55KG: Intermittent No Boot With POST 21
          pchokola

It was recommended by Intel support that I remove the BIOS battery and reset the BIOS settings to their default, which I did today.  I will have to see what happens, but given that it is an intermittent issue, hard to say if and when.  One other problem that I failed to mention is that three times in the past couple of months, when coming to the Windows 7 login screen, my USB keyboard failed to work and I had to reboot the system because I could not enter the login password.

• 2. Re: DP55KG Post 21 Error, Case # 9697359
            pchokola

I received another Post error code 21 today and the motherboard locked up again upon starting the system. The suggested battery removal method did not solve this problem. Is this starting to look like a bad motherboard? If so, how do I return it?

• 3. Re: DP55KG: Intermittent No Boot With POST 21
              pchokola

Another POST 21 yesterday, and yet another one today.

• 4. Re: DP55KG: Intermittent No Boot With POST 21
                no-hassles

I just purchased the DP55KG as part of a barebones system. I have not been able to get past code "21" in the boot process. I was curious how you resolved your DP55KG code "21" issue.

• 5. Re: DP55KG: Intermittent No Boot With POST 21
                  Boyet

Can you please list down your system components?

Thanks.

• 6. Re: DP55KG: Intermittent No Boot With POST 21
                    no-hassles

First, let me state that I have built 2 reasonably high performance AMD Desktop PCs in the last year or two and many general purpose Intel desktop PCs over the years. I have never run into this issue before.

I get the post "21" error under all phases of system building.

Building from the ground up, I get the post 21 error when I install each of the following components, in order (in and out of the case):

Intel Core I7 - 875K 2.94Ghz Unlocked LGA 1156 CPU

OCZ 8B DDR3 PC10666 1333MHZ 8192MB (2 X 4GB)

ATI FIREPRO V7750 1GB PCIE 2.0 X16

That it. Code 21 each and everytime I give the MB power from a ULTRA X4 750W power supply modular.

Steve

• 7. Re: DP55KG: Intermittent No Boot With POST 21
                      Boyet

Thank you once again for attending to my request. I have made the request to help me out in the possibility of providing you with the necessary help. I'll keep in touch in case I'd come across such a problem.

• 8. Re: DP55KG: Intermittent No Boot With POST 21
                        pchokola

Tech support was not able to resolve my POST 21 error. However, my problem is different than yours, because it happens to me intermittently, not every time. When I do get a POST 21, immediately power cycling the computer allows the motherboard to start normally the next time. I recently updated the BIOS again to the latest (5531), and I am going to wait and see if that helped.

• 9. Re: DP55KG: Intermittent No Boot With POST 21
                          no-hassles

I am returning my OCZ memory that came with the barebones system purchase and I am purchasing tested memory from Kingston. I HTH.

Steve

• 10. Re: DP55KG: Intermittent No Boot With POST 21
                            pchokola

Good idea.  I always select tested components when building a new system because it eliminates another source of problems if troubleshooting is necessary.  From what little gain that may be had from a high performance non-tested component, it is just not worth the hassle.

I am currently using 8 GB of tested Kingston memory.

The exact memory is KVR1333D3N9K2/4G.  That is a 4GB kit (A quantity of two ram sticks at 2GB each for a total of 4GB).  Therefore I ordered two kits because I wanted a total of 8GB ram.

Intel's list of tested memory is some times old or incomplete, so if you go to the manufacturer of the memory and plug in the motherboard model, a more complete list can be generated, specifically the various different kits that are available.  I still double check the specs to insure that the speed, etc. are correct as listed on the Intel site.

• 11. Re: DP55KG: Intermittent No Boot With POST 21
                              no-hassles

I went for the Kingston KVR1333D3N9/4G and purchased 2 sticks.

I'll be crossing my fingers until I get it booted for the first time. I have a lot of money invested.

• 12. Re: DP55KG: Intermittent No Boot With POST 21

I too bought a bare bones system with a DP55KG mobo and OCZ memory and a i7-875K processor, i tried updateing the bios and that didnt work, i sent the board back and got another one and guess what the same thing. this time i cant event update the bios.. whats up with that.

• 13. Re: DP55KG: Intermittent No Boot With POST 21
                                  pchokola

Although it may be a coincidence that you are both using OCZ memory, and the memory may or may not be the cause of your problems, but did you verify that you are using tested and/or certified memory for the DP55KG? Intel shows no tested OCZ memory, and the OCZ web site only lists the following part numbers as being approved for the DP55KG motherboard:

NOTE: SCROLL THE FOLLOWING PAGE OVER TO GET THE PART NUMBERS:

COMPATIBLE MEMORY

Description

OCZ Technology Part No.

512MB, 1066MHz, DDR3-1066 PC3-8500, 240p DIMM, 1.5v

512MB, 1333MHz, DDR3-1333 PC3-10600, 240p DIMM, 1.5v

512MB, 1600MHz, DDR3-1600 PC3-12800, 240p DIMM, 1.5v

1GB, 1066MHz, DDR3-1066 PC3-8500, 240p DIMM, 1.5v

OCZ310661G

1GB, 1333MHz, DDR3-1333 PC3-10600, 240p DIMM, 1.5v

OCZ313331G

1GB, 1600MHz, DDR3-1600 PC3-12800, 240p DIMM, 1.5v

OCZ316001G

2GB, 1066MHz, DDR3-1066 PC3-8500, 240p DIMM, 1.5v

OCZ310662G

2GB, 1333MHz, DDR3-1333 PC3-10600, 240p DIMM, 1.5v

OCZ313332G

2GB, 1600MHz, DDR3-1600 PC3-12800, 240p DIMM, 1.5v

OCZ316002G

4GB, 1066MHz, DDR3-1066 PC3-8500, 240p DIMM, 1.5v

OCZ310664G

4GB, 1333MHz, DDR3-1333 PC3-10600, 240p DIMM, 1.5v

OCZ313334G

4GB, 1600MHz, DDR3-1600 PC3-12800, 240p DIMM, 1.5v

Another problem that I came across looking at other the brands of memory that are popular with overclocking enthusiasts, is that some of them exceeded the maximum voltage as noted below in bold from the Intel Web site:

The Desktop Board supports the following memory:

• Four 240-pin Double Data Rate 3 (DDR3) SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) connectors with gold-plated contacts arranged in two channels

• 1600/1333/1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM interface

• Support for single- and dual-channel memory interleaving

• Non-ECC DDR3 memory

• Serial Presence Detect (SPD) memory only

• Up to 16 GB maximum total system memory

• Unbuffered, non-registered single- or double-sided DIMMs with a voltage rating of 1.65 V or less.

Using a DIMM with a voltage rating higher than 1.65 V may damage the processor.

• 14. Re: DP55KG: Intermittent No Boot With POST 21
                                    no-hassles

I purchased my barebones system from a well known on line computer retailer and therefore I assumed that all the components of the system would work together. I got a RMA for the OCZ memory, purchased the Kingston memory and I am good to go. Unfortunately, when I try to install my 64 bit version of Windows 7, the PC reboots just after the preliminary installation software is loaded and changes over to Starting Window. This is the subject of my next post but I'm not sure where to post it.

Steve

1 2 Previous Next