7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2010 1:54 AM by Gary

DH57DD voltage regulator teperature problem

kurthofman

I hava a DH57DD with a Intel Core i5 661 and I'm have sometimes the error from the Intel Desktop Utilities : Voltage Regulator Temperature exceeded its recommended maximum temperature.  Is this some issue of the software or do I have to worry ?

WKSMDHOME.png

• 1. Re: i5 661 , DH57DD , Over heating voltage regulator temperature
          foryourjunkmail

i5 661 , DH57DD , Over heating voltage regulator temperature

120mm front fan  1200rpm
          120mm front fan 1200rpm
          rear fan 2200rpm
          cross-flow  rear fan 3000rpm
          totally aluminum case
          no video card
          one hard-drive
          very  efficient 500w power-supply
          good air flow no obstructions
          fans are  set to full blast

All other temperature sensors are far below  the threshold and in the green.
          All my power indicators are in the  green and stable.

Upper = 60C or 140F
          Is the upper threshold  of the voltage regulator temperature set to low?
          I haven't found any  documentation on the temperature threshold for the voltage regulator of the 661 or DH57DD.

I'm  going to try a video card to see if taking the load off the 45nm on board video  will help. If it does the maybe there is something wrong with the 45nm video chip. If  anyone has tried this let me know.

volt.JPG

• 2. Re: i5 661 , DH57DD , Over heating voltage regulator temperature
            Steve17

I think the VR temperature reading is bogus.  I've checked the temperature of the motherboard with my finger and an IR thermometer and can find no hot spots.  The mobo temps around and under the VR area show a temperature of 30C and the temperature under the memory have a temperature of 23C.  The memory temperature agrees with what the BIOS reports.  The VR temperature is far below what the BIOS reports.  My mobo is sitting on the kitchen table with only a 92mm CPU heatsink fan to keep things cool.

• 3. Re: i5 661 , DH57DD , Over heating voltage regulator temperature
              foryourjunkmail

Also see the thread with the title below. Voltage regulators temperature on DH57DD http://communities.intel.com/message/95040#95040

Also see the thread on mother boards site.

http://www.motherboards.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=116400

• 4. Re: DH57DD voltage regulator teperature problem
                Mafrjm

I’m also having high VR temps with my i5-650 and DH57DD motherboard in a well ventilated case with two 120 mm fans.    Here are my observations.

Suspect Temps:  I agree with those who are suspicious of the temp readings.  The temp reading on the Controller Hub (the H57 chip) never changes – it’s always at 59 C.  Certainly this temp is bogus.  The VR temp never is below 40 C, even at start up, and I wonder whether it is being read correctly.

Overheating: Nonetheless, I am concerned that there is real overheating when the CPU is worked hard.  I used the BurnInTest program to exercise the computer while monitoring the temps.  No problem when running memory tests – VR temps stayed well below 60 C.  But with the CPU tests it was a different story.  When the program put the CPU through its most demanding test, the temps of both CPU and VR rose dramatically.  I cut off the test at 6 minutes 30 seconds when the VR temp hit 80 C.  It was still climbing.  A plot of the test is below. 

Conclusions:  (1) I believe something is not right with the temps reported by the hardware monitor.  (2) I believe there may well be a serious temp problem when the CPU is worked hard.  In my opinion this is most likely due to inadequate heat dissipation stemming from the motherboard design. 

Temps.png

• 5. Re: DH57DD voltage regulator teperature problem
                  Steve17

The minimum thermal reporting threshold for the Intel H57 PCH is 59 C.  It will only change when the actual temperature goes above 57 C.  This is mentioned in the Product Guide.  So that is okay.

I agree the VR reported temperature is suspicious.

With the board in the case, I ran the Everest stress test for 44 minutes.  The VR temperature stabilized at 84 C and the.CPU temperature stabilized at 67 C.  According to the stress test, the CPU never throttled.  I observed that none of the fans sped up.

Everest doesn't report many of the sensors correctly.  They will no doubt get it fixed one of these days.  I guess Everest checks CPU throttling correctly.

The BIOS handles the fans strangely.  All 3 fan headers are 4 pin (PWM).  The CPU fan is always driven in PWM mode.  The rear fan is always driven in non-PWM mode, and the front fan will work either way, depending on which kind of fan is plugged in.  By PWM mode, I mean it puts 12 volts on the power pin and puts a PWM signal on the PWM pin.  In non-PWM mode it puts 5.8 volts on the power pin and no PWM signal.  Presumably that 5.8 volts will rise if the temperature gets too high.   I guess Intel will clean this up in a subsequent BIOS version.

The BIOS knows how to speed up the fans.  A few seconds after power-up, it runs them at full speed for a second.  But during the stress test, the fans did not speed up.

In the meantime I'm wondering why I had to be the first one on the block to buy this new motherboard. 

• 6. Re: DH57DD voltage regulator teperature problem
                    Mafrjm

I have found that a better processor fan can also reduce VR temps.  I replaced the Intel fan with a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 fan and got lower temps all around.  I reran the BurnInTest I described in an earlier post in this thread under the same conditions.  In that earlier test, I had stopped it after 6 min 30 secoonds when the VR temp hit 80 C.  With the new cooler, the processor stabilized at 53 C and the VR at 70 C after about 5 min and held those temps for the full 10 minute test.

The BurnInTest routine is designed to max out processor temps, so I doubt if anything I do in my day to day computing will create this kind of thermal load.  I am expecting that I will rarely see VR temps aboive 60 in the future, and I think I have the VR heat problem under control as far as my system is concerned.

Here is an interesting aside.  When the new cooler is installed, the old thermal bonding material must be removed.  The Intel material, which comes pre-applied to their processor fan assembly, only covered about half of the top of the processor ship.  It made me wonder whether the efficiency of the Intel fan might be significantly improved if there was better thermal bonding to the chip.

Bob

• 7. Re: DH57DD voltage regulator teperature problem
                      Gary

I am using a DH57DD mobo with a i5-661 87w cpu in a 3 fan case. At first I linked the the 2 front fans together and found that the dash board would warn me of low fan rpm besides the warning of vr temp. what I did to resolve this is I connected the right fan to the mobo and  the left into an open 12v molex with an adapter then reset the vr temp threshold to 70c. With one fan always blowing on the vr and the other under control of the mobo this seems to be working just fine. I used a Dynatron fan on the cpu that is a slight upgrade due to the 87w cpu. I use this set up to do video editing and and programming for digital signage and with the legacy serial port and duel 22" hd screens this rig is the cats meow. I am also using an intel 160gb ssd to boot all my programs along with win 7 64bit and a WD-1tb partitioned in half for drives A and B.  Its fast,clean and simple and I don't know how I got along without it.