3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2018 1:48 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC8i7BEH Unexpectedly restarts to "No Bootable Devices"

adowson

I've got a new NUC8i7BEH that unexpectedly restarts after several hours of uptime, sometimes idle and sometimes during remote use, and boots to No bootable devices found, with no drive activity light on the enclosure. If I press the power button twice, the unit boots normally (until the next time it unexpectedly restarts).

I've updated the BIOS to 0048, and nothing's improved. All drivers are up to date, per the Intel Driver and Support tool.

Running a Toshiba KSG60ZMV512G M.2 SSD as the Windows 10 boot device with a Samsung 850 EVO SSD as a secondary data drive (full System Support report attached).

Event Viewer records Critical Kernel-Power errors, event 41 category (63), but without much detail, followed by Connectivity state in standby: Disconnected, Reason: NIC compliance [ID 172, category (203)].

Any ideas? Happy to provide any other logs. Created an Intel support request as well.

• 1. Re: NUC8i7BEH Unexpectedly restarts to "No Bootable Devices"
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello adowson,

Thank you for contacting our Intel ® communities, I understand that you are experiencing issues boot issues with your Intel® NUC8i7BEH.

Based on the description of your issue and the report that you attached, there are some details that we may need to consider:
          Components on the Unit (SSD, Ram)
          Based on the Intel® Product Compatibility Tool for your Intel® NUC8i7BEH, between your RAM memories and your hard drive, the only Intel® validated component is the Samsung 8GB 2400 MHzM471A1K43BB1-CRC memory.
          Meaning that the other components (8GB Micron 8ATF1G64HZ-2G3H1R SODIMM DDR4 PC4-19200, Toshiba KSG60ZMV512G M.2 SSD and Samsung 850 EVO SSD) may cause a compatibility issue with your system.
          Light behavior
          Does your unit show any of these symptoms?
          We would like to discard any SSD or RAM issue by setting the unit to work on a minimal environment:
          -Remove and re-seat the memory.
          -Try using just one memory module at a time, swapping it between the upper and lower memory slots, please use the Samsung 8GB 2400 MHzM471A1K43BB1-CRC memory.
          -Try using memory modules from the same manufacturer with the same part number and speed, using different manufacturers may cause system instability.
          -Use just one hard drive at a time.
          -Make sure the hard drives firmware are updated
          -Run a diagnostic on the main Toshiba drive to discard any failure on it related to the "No Bootable Devices" error.
          -Try Clearing CMOS on Intel® NUC

I hope to hear from you soon.
          Regards,
          Diego S.
          Intel (R) Customer Support Technician
          Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation

• 2. Re: NUC8i7BEH Unexpectedly restarts to "No Bootable Devices"
            adowson

Hi Diego,

Thank you. I had an existing support case and they're already proceeding with replacing the entire NUC.

No, I did not see any of those light behaviors. When the computer restarts, only a solid blue light is seen. There's no disk activity light.

I'm not sure why the RAM would affect the machine's ability so see bootable drives, though. Isn't the error code I mentioned related to power management?

• 3. Re: NUC8i7BEH Unexpectedly restarts to "No Bootable Devices"
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello adowson,
              Thank you for your response, we really appreciate your patience.
              In this case the RAM might not be related directly to the hard drive detection, however, it can cause system instability that may affect the power of the unit (such as the error code that you experienced) and the way that the system boots.
              "No Bootable Devices" can be displayed by a couple of reasons, from power issues to a damaged boot partition on the drive.
              If you already have an open ticket, please let me know if we can proceed to close this one as the replacement order is currently being worked on.
              I hope this helps.
              Regards,
              Diego S.
              Intel (R) Customer Support Technician
              Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation