Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

What model Intel NIC is in the HP Envy x360 13" convertible laptop (2018)?

VNobi
Beginner

I just ordered this laptop online, a few minutes ago...There were two "Networking" options: a generic NIC, and an Intel one. The very brief/basic descriptions were identical, except the generic one had the letters "MU-MIMO" in it, and the other one obviously had "Intel" in it--but I was surprised that it did NOT have "MU-MIMO" in it...i figure that could've just been an omission in the text but not in reality. I just want to make sure the NIC i ordered has the MU-MIMO feature/standard. So...What what model # Intel NIC would i actually be getting with this laptop right now? Then i can look if it has MU-MIMO.

I called HP sales and asked, but they were clueless as to what i was talking about (they tried...but it was obvious they had no idea what they were talking about...she said the difference between them was one connects to your router over wifi and the speed you get depends on your router, whereas the other is a router and you use a cable...not kidding!).

I could've waited and called tech support tomorrow to clarify this before i ordered...but there was a really good price and i was afraid the discount might end tonight, so i had to pull the trigger. but this NIC doesn't have what i want, i figure i can cancel and re-order tomorrow.

Please let me know. Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You have to ask hp for the model number of the Intel NIC. There are too many versions and sub-versions [of your laptop] to check.

Doc

0 Kudos
VNobi
Beginner

That sounds very logical...But i'm learning that HP support, on the other hand, is unfortunately far from logical.

I called their tech support today to get this info (which it's very difficult to even acquire that phone # when you don't have an HP serial # yet)...the tech support person told me that the Parts department can answer this question. After being on hold for 30 mins, the parts person told me - more than 5 times - that he can't do anything at all without the serial # of my laptop. i told him many times i don't have that because i just ordered the laptop last night (i.e. it hasn't even been built yet)!! he said it's impossible for him to tell me the part # for the Intel NIC that they'd be building into an HP Envy x360 13" touch laptop today. finally (after i politely told him that was all ridiculous) he said he'd try but needed more info about my laptop model...i gave him my laptop's product # from my order receipt, but he came back after 10 mins and said he couldn't give me that info. i said, can't you just walk or call over to the people there building new laptops and say "hey, if someone orders this laptop right now w/ the Intel NIC option, what is the part # of that NIC?" but there was apparently no way that he could do anything so logical like that. it was so frustrating!

So, i'm coming back here to ask if someone from Intel or this forum can help me please/hopefully?? Does anyone out there have this laptop w/ the Intel NIC option, and if so, what is the Intel part # / does that NIC support MU-MIMO?

The Product Number of the laptop i ordered appears to be 3EC92AV...if that helps.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
VNobi
Beginner

Or would any laptop built by a major manufacturer today be putting in an Intel NIC that definitely has MU-MIMO?

Maybe that's the better question, at this point.

0 Kudos
VNobi
Beginner

Are you saying that the Intel model # 9260 will be in my new laptop? ...I don't think that's right... Because it said it'd have bluetooth 4.2...yet the white paper you provided there says bluetooth 5.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

No, I am saying the link I provided shows an intel nic that has mu-mimo.

Why not just use the HP one, and not pay an additional $10? It looks like it satisfies your needs.

Doc

0 Kudos
VNobi
Beginner

I guess I just assumed that the Intel one must be better, when I initially ordered the laptop...ie usually the "upgraded" (more expensive) components are typically better in some way... I would therefore be surprised that by upgrading to the Intel NIC, I'd lose MU-MIMO... But I came here to just make sure my assumptions were correct.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I cannot say which is better quality. But, I can tell you that if you ever plan to replace A with B in a laptop, you must consult with the laptop manufacturer.

Now, the only thing I will say, and it is my own personal opinion (and I am not an Intel employee or contractor) is that I would not purchase HP.

Doc

0 Kudos