Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14404 Discussions

i7 920 2.57GHz performance dropped to 1.57 GHz, help?

idata
Employee

Hello,

After installing the latest drivers (from Intel's website) my PC's performance dropped significantly. After a lot of digging through drivers and utilities, I came accross the Intel processor identification utility and the picture below shows the results.

I tried removing the drivers, however instead of removing them, device manager wants to remove the entire device. I don't want to reinstall my OS, again.

My current build is the following:

CPU: i7920 @ 2.57GHz

MB: EVGA Classified X58 1366

Memory: 6GB 1333MHz

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 480 SuperClocked

PSU: 900W Apprevia

Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

1 thing I forgot to mention.

My Windows Experience Index for my processor used to be in the 7+ area, now its down to 5.3. I am trying to submit as much information, in order to get this issue resolved.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That's Intel's Enhanced SpeedStep working there. At stock settings, SpeedStep can use any processor speed between 1.57GHz and the nominal 2.67GHz in 133MHz increments. For some strange reason running Windows' own built-in performance tests does not stress the CPU enough to get the processor out of SpeedStep mode, especially after the system has been idling for a long time.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

OK I did some serious testing with a friend of mine who works for an IT company here.

Under heavy usage the clock speed DECREASES. When idle clock speed is at maximum?

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

While the processor is Idle:

While the processor is stress tested:

As you can notice the core speed drops from the upper 2700s to lower 600s.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Check your processor temperatures (especially under load). A drop of your processor's clock speed is a sign that the processor has been throttling down due to potential overheating. You will need to download the latest version of RealTemp, and check the temps. Your processor's temperatures might have been near the thermal meltdown point.

Also, check your processor's cooler. Either its fan may have stopped spinning or the heatsink may have come loose or is not seated properly.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

THAT WAS ABSOLULTELY CORRECT.

Thank you very much RJL190365, I took it out the thermal matter did not spread correctly so it was only covering a 1/4 of the processor.

I actually went out and bought a V8 cooler master heatsync (pain in the behind) to install, but it is keeping the temperature on 100% stress-test load at 105-110 F.

Again THANK YOU!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Bojan Petreski wrote:

THAT WAS ABSOLULTELY CORRECT.

Thank you very much RJL190365, I took it out the thermal matter did not spread correctly so it was only covering a 1/4 of the processor.

That is a sure sign that the processor's heatsink that was on there before was not seated correctly - perhaps because one or two of the mounting pins on the heatsink might have worked their way loose. The heatsink which comes with a boxed Intel i7-9xx series processor (except the i7-980X) is easy to initially install but its mounting pins are rather difficult to lock down properly (you need a fair amount of strength to get those little thingamajigs to lock in a secure position).
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have to admit, those pins were a nightmare to install, i was afraid that I was going to break my motherboard when installing those lol.

However installing the CoolerMaster V8, is even worse!, u have to hold the heatsync in place, while screwing in the washers...

Thank you everyone for your help

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

http://communities.intel.com/message/93568# 93568 Help me please dear no cost limit I can purchase easily actually I want to buy a laptop having processor Intel core i7 mobile processor extreme edition 920xm !! is it the Best of all processors ?? or is there any one better than it !! how much GHZ this processor is ?? which laptop manufacturer is best for it ?? can I use windows XP in it ?? shop in london ?

0 Kudos