Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here

Hard Drive Partition Issues

WMonc
Beginner

I have an i7-8700 with 32GB of RAM, Gigabyte H370-HD3 Motherboard, 1TB WD Black HDD, 32 GB of Intel Optane, and a GTX 1060 6GB video card. Everything works except the Optane, and I am getting an error message from the Install Optane file stating the following:

"the last partition on your system drive cannot be resized, which is required to enable Intel Optane memory (0xA001004B)... please ensure the last partition on your system drive is at least 20 mb with 5 mb of continuous free space."

Drive Volumes under Window settings shows GUID/GPT partition table, with 3mb unallocated space. System drive C: has 953218 MB, and System Reserved has 549MB.

Disk Part shows the following:

Volume # Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info

---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------

Volume 0 E System Rese NTFS Partition 549 MB Healthy

Volume 1 C NTFS Partition 930 GB Healthy Boot

Volume 2 FAT32 Partition 100 MB Healthy System

Volume 3 D NTFS Partition 27 GB Healthy

I've tried everything I can think of. I even deleted the system reset/reserve partition. What could volume 3 be? Maybe I'm missing something? I can't remove the recovery partition for some reason. I imagine one of these partitions is holding me up. Thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi moncureww,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

The error you are getting is because you don't have at least 5MB of unallocated space at the end of the drive, which is required for the module to work properly.

Please check the following article where the error code you are getting is described: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024113/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html?_ga=2.173733347.135351877.1541433873-1716436649.1536075640 Error Codes and Messages While Enabling and Disabling Intel® Optane™... . There is a suggestion to fix it as well. Please check it and follow it.

If it doesn't work, my recommendation would be to re-install the OS making sure to reserve at least 5MB of unallocated space at the end of the drive.

For your reference, the partitions in the drive should look as follow:

I hope this information helps you. If there is anything else I can help you with, please feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi moncureww,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

The error you are getting is because you don't have at least 5MB of unallocated space at the end of the drive, which is required for the module to work properly.

Please check the following article where the error code you are getting is described: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024113/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html?_ga=2.173733347.135351877.1541433873-1716436649.1536075640 Error Codes and Messages While Enabling and Disabling Intel® Optane™... . There is a suggestion to fix it as well. Please check it and follow it.

If it doesn't work, my recommendation would be to re-install the OS making sure to reserve at least 5MB of unallocated space at the end of the drive.

For your reference, the partitions in the drive should look as follow:

I hope this information helps you. If there is anything else I can help you with, please feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi moncureww,

I'm wondering if you still need help with this.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
WMonc
Beginner

Diego,

I had two issues - a bios issue that was actually prohibiting me from activating Optane. I corrected that with assistance from the manufacturer. I used gparted in Linux, actually, to move and resize all the partitions, as windows wouldn't let me move the partitions. After doing those two things, the product has been up and running smoothly. Thank you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello moncureww,

We are glad to hear that you were able to resolve the issue you were experiencing.

If you need further assistance in the future, please, do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos