1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2018 12:49 PM by Intel Corporation

Hard Drive Lags When Intel Optane Enabled

brop

Hi, I have a 16gb optane module in my laptop. After successfully enabling it for hdd acceleration my hdd now seems to turn off or enter a very low power state during computer use and often times whenever I open up a new program or suddenly perform a function in an already opened program (such as highlighting text in adobe pdf or right-clicking in Microsoft word 2016) the hdd seems to turn back on or accelerate (increasing spinning sound) and this is accompanied by a lag during such simple tasks. I didn't have this issue (of recurring lag when using/opening simple programs) prior to enabling intel optane. Apart from that, the Intel RST program shows that everything is functioning normally. I already tried disabling Link Power Management in the RST application but that didn't fix the issue.

Any help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Hard Drive Lags When Intel Optane Enabled
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello brop,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Technical Support.

As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Optane™ Memory. If we infer correctly we will appreciate if you can provide us with the following information:

• The SSU logs.

1-            Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26735/ and download the software.
            2-            When finished downloading it, open it.
            3-            Attach the file obtained to your reply.

• A screenshot of the “Disk Management” of windows showing all your HDDs and partitions.
          • We will like to know if you are running the latest version of the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver
          • We advise you to open a ticket with your original equipment manufacturer (OEM) in parallel to this case in order to discard any hardware limitation.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.
          Intel® Customer Support Technician
          Under Contract to Intel Corporation
          • 2. Re: Hard Drive Lags When Intel Optane Enabled
            brop

Attached is the SSU file and the disk management screenshot.

I am running Version V16.0.2.1086 of RST supplied by the manufacturer, accessible from: ASUS VivoBook Pro 15 N580GD Driver & Tools | Laptops | ASUS USA

Thank You.

• 3. Re: Hard Drive Lags When Intel Optane Enabled
              Intel Corporation

Hello brop,

Thank you for your reply.

Based on the information you provided we noticed the following:
              From the Disk Management screenshot, we noticed that you don’t have a reserved unallocated space of at least 5MB at the end of the boot drive. This is necessary for the module to work properly. Seems to be that at the moment of partitioning your C: drive you did not reserve that space.

Please create this unallocated space and try again to accelerate your system. If after creating this unallocated space at the end of the drive you are still experiencing the same issue with the HDD contact Asus in order to check the hard drive status.

We will be looking forward to your reply letting us know the results.

Best regards,
              Josh B.

• 4. Re: Hard Drive Lags When Intel Optane Enabled
                brop

Hi, how do I do this? Am I supposed to disable intel optane first, before creating the unallocated space? How do I create these 5mb of unallocated space?

Thank You.

• 5. Re: Hard Drive Lags When Intel Optane Enabled
                  Intel Corporation

Hello brop,

To answer your questions:

Normally this unallocated space is left at the moment that you install your OS at the end of the boot drive in your case since your PC probably came with the OS preinstalled we advise you to contact your OEM to check if they have any recommendation of a software that you can use in order to create this necessary unallocated area.

Yes, we recommend you to disable Optane first and later to create the unallocated space at the end of the boot drive and one more time enables the Optane acceleration.

In order to create this space, you need to resize a partition on your boot device using third-party software to let the unallocated space at the end of the boot drive.

Best regards,

Josh B.

• 6. Re: Hard Drive Lags When Intel Optane Enabled
                    brop

Hi, attached is the latest SSU file and disk management screenshot. I created some unallocated free space at the end of drive C:, but after using the device for a couple of days I see that the issue still persists (it seemed to be working better at the start though). I recently had my laptop serviced by an Asus technician and they confirmed that there were no problems with my hard drive, it passed all tests and was functioning normally. What are my options now, what else can be done to resolve this issue?

Thank You

• 7. Re: Hard Drive Lags When Intel Optane Enabled
                      Intel Corporation

Hello brop,

From the "disk management.png" image you shared with us we noticed that you created an unallocated space on your bootable drive but space is not at the end of the drive. There is another recovery partition in the middle.
                      We recommend you to move this partition or to try again to create the unallocated space at the end of the drive. In case that you need further assistance on how to move this recovery partition we recommend you to contact your OEM.

Best regards,

Josh B.

• 8. Re: Hard Drive Lags When Intel Optane Enabled
                        brop

Hi, just to be sure, before I make any changes, is the final configuration supposed to look like image 1 or image 2 (see attachments)?

Thank You.

• 9. Re: Hard Drive Lags When Intel Optane Enabled
                          Intel Corporation

Hi brop,

The partitions in your drive should look as below:

Partitions.JPG

Regards,
                          Diego V.

• 10. Re: Hard Drive Lags When Intel Optane Enabled
                            brop

Hi, the software I am using only let's me move the recovery partition as shown in image 1.png (see attachment), will doing it like that still work or does the unallocated space have to be located directly after partition OS (C:)?

Thank You.

• 11. Re: Hard Drive Lags When Intel Optane Enabled
                              Intel Corporation

Hi brop,

As long as the unallocated space is at the very end of the partitions, that would be fine. However, keep in mind that the recommended way is through an OS re-installation.

Try moving the unallocated space at the very end of the drive’s partitions and see if there is any change in the behavior.

Additionally, it’d be a good idea to clean the data stored in the Intel® Optane™ Memory just in case there is something there causing the issue. You can clean the module’s data by following these steps:

1. Open your command prompt as Administrator.
                              2. Run the command diskpart to enter in Diskpart environment.
                              3. Type list disk and press enter to display a list of the drives connected to your system. You should see the Intel® Optane™ Memory there. If you cannot see it, please take a screenshot and include it in your reply.
                              4. If the module appears in the list, please take note of the disk number. Then run the command select disk <disk number>. Make sure to use the disk number associated to the module.
                              5. Type clean all and press enter. This command will clean the module erasing all data stored in it. The purpose is to delete all data from the previous setup so that the module can be re-configured again from scratch. Just wait for the process to complete and then try to setup the module again.

Make sure you have disabled the module first from the application before doing any changes.

Once the process is complete, you can enable it again.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                              Diego V.
                              • 12. Re: Hard Drive Lags When Intel Optane Enabled
                                brop

Hi, moving the unallocated space to the end of the drive did not fix the problem, although after I enabled optane there seemed to be a reduction in the unallocated free space by 2mb, from 261mb-->259mb.

Are there any other troubleshooting options still available, apart from reinstalling the OS. If it has to be reinstalled will it automatically create the unallocated free space at the end of the drive? Would I have to disable optane before the reinstallation? Following the reinstallation should optane be automatically enabled or would I have to do this manually again?

Could it be the ASUS RST driver that the laptop came with that is causing the problem?

If i reinstall the OS should I use the ASUS driver or download the latest Intel RST?

Attached is the latest SSU and disk management screenshot.

Thank You.

• 13. Re: Hard Drive Lags When Intel Optane Enabled
                                  Intel Corporation

Hi brop,

Did you clean the module’s data before re-enable it again as I explained you in my previous post? If not, please do it as it may help. Just make sure to disable the module beforehand.

Regarding to the OS re-installation questions, you have to disable the module beforehand as well, so make sure you do this before doing anything else. Every time you will do a system change, it’s suggested to disable the module.

After the installation is complete, you would have to enable the module again from the application. This process is manual and it’s the same process you have been doing when enabling/disabling the module.

The unallocated space will not be reserved automatically during the installation process. You have to manually do it when you will select the space of the drive intended for the installation. Just select almost all the space your drive has making sure you are leaving at least 5MB for the Intel® Optane™ Memory. The Windows* installer will show you how the partitions will be configured and you will see there if the unallocated reserve space is actually there before installing the OS.

Regarding to the RST drive, we always recommend to use the latest driver available from our site. The current driver is the 16.7.0.1009 so make sure you are using this one. You can download it from the following site: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28256/Intel-Optane-Memory-User-Interface-and-Driver-for-System-Acceleration?product=99745

You have to download the file SetupOptaneMemory.exe which will install the application to manage the Intel® Optane™ Memory. This application will also install the driver.

Before installing this application (and the driver), make sure to uninstall the current application that you have in your system. Otherwise, you may get an error when installing this one.

You have to disable the module as well before uninstalling the application and installing the latest one, so make sure to do this beforehand. Once you have installed the latest version, you can open the application and enable the module again.

Please try this before performing an OS installation.

If you have any other question or doubt about this process, feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                                  Diego V.

• 14. Re: Hard Drive Lags When Intel Optane Enabled
                                    brop

Hi, yes, I did clean the modules' data through cmd. I installed the latest RST with the intel optane memory application but the problem still persists. It's as if the intel optane is causing my hdd to turn off and then turn on(spin up), and then turn off and spin up again whenever there is sudden I/O activity or if I perform a task which has not been performed yet (or I guess not copied to the intel module yet), but my hdd keeps spinning up and turning off, the same way it spins/powers up when you first turn on the laptop. Its as if the computer or OS tries to run off the optane memory and whenever a task is needed to be performed by the hdd it turn (spins) it back on. Doing a reinstallation of the OS is a last resort for me. Attached is the latest SSU file, I have not changed anything in disk management since my last post.

Thank You.

1 2 Previous Next