Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Optane Stuck at end of install

AHanc2
Beginner

Hi,

I've recently made a new build and when i first put the system together everything worked brilliantly, i started encountering problems after updating the bios to the latest version as this is recommended.

As i encountered problems i basically just did a fresh install and ensured the boot drive is GTP and then double checked this under disk manager.

I've also formatted the hdd i wish to accelerate and also made this one GTP is this correct? or is this where i'm going wrong?

BIOS settings:

CSM support disabled. (upon disabling this it makes it i cant see my bios on load up and dont know how to resolve this either as the PCIe slot selected is slot 1. unless i change it to maybe show me off the cpu?)

RST legacy OROM disabled

PCIe storage RST controlled

System info: Z370 Aorus Gaming Wifi; i7 8086k; 16gb ram; hd 4tb; win 10 pro; optane 32 gb.

i've doubled checked that BIOS mode is UEFI through my system information within windows 10.

no errors flag up during and before installation ive tried un-installing optane completely and any drivers relating to optane then installing them again but this didnt resolve the issue.

Do i need to format the optane drive at all? (previously tried but it did nothing, also when accessing disk manager once optane gets stuck, it pops up asking if i wish it to be GTP or MBR i tried both and neither helped.)

Obviously after trying to enable the optane drive it has to wipes the optane module making it unallocated and "not Initialised" is this how its meant to be?

If you need any further information to help me solve the above problem please let me know and i will provide you with everything i can.

Please see attached screen shot of what optane memory gets stuck on, it isn't frozen just doesn't seem to move from this point even after leaving it for a few hours.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello EckoSpan

Thank you for contacting Intel® Technical Support.

As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Optane™ Memory. If we infer correctly we will appreciate if you can provide us with the following information:

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
AHanc2
Beginner

Afternoon Josh,

Thanks for the response i can confirm i was using the latest Optane memory driver and software, i've uninstalled intel optane memory to tryed to enable optane using RST as suggested, this gave me an error which i've attached saying that "intel optane memory volume no longer present on system" this happens on the final stage of enabling it 3 of 3.

Please see attached requested information from SSU & all disks i have installed including the volume data.

I tried accelerating my main SSD which windows is installed "Disk 2" and it was successful, but as previously mentioned it gets stuck when trying to enable my secondary disk which is a HDD "Disk 1"

If you require any further information please let me know and i will provide what i can,

Kind Regards,

Alex H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello EckoSpan

Thank you for your reply.

Based on the information you provided we noticed the following:
  • From the Disk Management screenshot, we noticed that you don't have a reserved unallocated space of at least 5MB at the end of the boot drive. This is necessary for the module to work properly. Seems to be that at the moment of partitioning your C: drive you did not reserve that space.

Please create this unallocated space and try again to accelerate your system. If after creating this unallocated space at the end of the drive you are still not able to accelerate your Secondary/Data drive we advise you to check the information below:

-We recommend you to back up the information in your Secondary/Data drive and to perform a low-level format on the drive following the information from this article: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006198/memory-and-storage.html Run a Low-Level Format on Intel® Solid State Drives. Running a low-level format has solved secondary drive acceleration issues in previous cases so you may find it useful too.
  • In case that after following this process you still receive the same error message please access to de disk management at the moment that this message is displayed and take another screenshot of the drives detected, this in order to check the Optane status.
We will be looking forward to your reply letting us know the results.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AHanc2
Beginner

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the reply,

Please see attached the installation messages from step 1 to 5.

The error occurs in parts 4 & 5 attached, this shows that the drive pops back up but is not initialised and starts at unallocated 7.25gb before going to the correct 27.25gb.

I am currently running the low level format on the secondary drive 4tb hard drive as suggested and from looking at the information provided within the 3rd part software it showed both drives had a reserved microsoft partition, i believe this would have been for the optane?

As i've previously tried to boost the boot drive to test it and this was success full, but obviously i'm aiming to boost my secondary drive so hopefully after the format it may work.

I will update you of the progress when it completes it seems like it may take a while as after 15 minutes of running its still currently at 1%.

0 Kudos
AHanc2
Beginner

Well the soft format failed as it encountered errors on the disk, it maybe time to get a new hard drive then it seems.

shame though as when i scanned it with other software and with windows it says no errors encountered and that it was fine, whats your thoughts on this?

other than that i'm going to run a program that stops information being written to parts of the drive it thinks is an issue to see if that solves it.

0 Kudos
AHanc2
Beginner

Hi Josh just an update,

I ran some other software that deletes errors in the hard disk and this resolved the problem optane is now enabled!

It did come up with a fair amount of errors and such 67 or more would you consider this to be normal or should i probably get a new hard drive?

Thank you for your help by the way,

Kind regards,

Alex

0 Kudos
AHanc2
Beginner

P.s.

attachment of enabled Optane.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello EckoSpan

Thank you for your reply.

In order to answer your questions:

"Well the soft format failed as it encountered errors on the disk, it may be time to get a new hard drive then it seems.

Shame though as when I scanned it with other software and with windows it says no errors encountered and that it was fine, what's your thoughts on this?"

"It did come up with a fair amount of errors and such 67 or more would you consider this to be normal or should I probably get a new hard drive?"

Based on this behavior the recommendation that we can give you is to contact the HDD original manufacturer and use the tools available on their website in order to discard any hardware issue or future expected failures related to the hard drive.

It has been a pleasure to assist you through this process and we are glad to hear that you found the information we shared helpful in order to accelerate your secondary drive.

We would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case.

If you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos