1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2018 1:03 PM by Intel Corporation

Intel Optane creating boot problems

Atomicman456

Before I installed the optane, when i booted up the pc all my hardware worked straight when i press the power button and no beeping occured, however now that i installed it the pc creates 3 beeps then takes me straight to the log in page for windows 10 and within the 3 beeps (which are about 2 seconds and are 2 seconds apart from each other) all my hardware is disabled and my monitor doesn't detect a signal. due to this i cannot go to the bios. does anybody know what is going on and how i can fix this issue? thanks

• 1. Re: Intel Optane creating boot problems
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Atomicman456,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

Could you please confirm if this issue happens once you have enabled and paired the Intel® Optane™ Memory with the drive, or just if you have connected the module in the motherboard?

Additionally, could you please download the Intel® System Support Utility (SSU) and run the full report? Please export the output in a file and attach it in your next response: Download Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*

If you cannot boot, then remove the module so you can access the system and run the tool.

Honestly, I haven’t seen this issue with the Intel® Optane™ Memory, however I have seen that behavior when there is no RAM memory in the system. Make sure the RAM memory is correctly connected to the motherboard, and that it wasn’t disconnected from the slot for some reason.

I’ll be waiting for your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
          Diego V.

• 2. Re: Intel Optane creating boot problems
            Atomicman456

Yes the Optane is enabled and there is the report

• 3. Re: Intel Optane creating boot problems
              Intel Corporation

Hi Atomicman456,

Thank you for the report, however it is not the full report. It doesn’t contain the information regarding to the Storage devices. Please run the tool again and make sure to check the “Everything” checkbox.

Please also go to Disk Management and take a screenshot of the window. You can open it by pressing the Windows* key + x and selecting Disk Management from the menu that will appear. 

Regards,
              Diego V.

• 5. Re: Intel Optane creating boot problems
                Intel Corporation

Hi Atomicman456,

Thank you for the information.

From the report file, I can see that your Intel® Optane™ Memory is currently enabled and paired with your primary drive. From your original description, I understood that you were not able to boot while the module was enabled, however the report shows that you can boot the system and the module is indeed enabled.

Could you please clarify this so that I can better understand what the issue is and help you in a better way?

Have a nice day

Regards,
                Diego V. 

• 6. Re: Intel Optane creating boot problems
                  Atomicman456

The video attached is exactly what happens at boot

• 7. Re: Intel Optane creating boot problems
                    Intel Corporation

Hi Atomicman456,

Thank you for recording the video.

I haven’t seen that issue with the Intel® Optane™ Memory, and I’m not sure if this is actually happening because of the module.

If the module would be causing an issue with the drive, then the system should at least show the BIOS menu, but it wouldn’t boot as no booting drive would be detected.

Anyhow, from the previous information that you shared, there are some details that are not correctly configured with the drive partitions so we can try to change them and see if this has any impact in the system behavior.

From the Intel® SSU report, I see that the module I paired with the primary drive. The partitions of the primary drive are partially correct as there are 2 Recovery partitions while there should be only one. Additionally, there should be a reserved space of at least 5MB of unallocated space at the end of the drive. This reserved space is missing in the primary disk. Please check the following document for details about this unallocated space at the end of the drive (page 5): https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/optane-memory/intel-optane-memory-user-installation.pdf

On the other hand, the unallocated space that is on the secondary drives is not necessary. However, if you prefer to leave that space in the drives, it should be at the end, not at the beginning.

You can try to change these details and see if there is any change.

You can also try to disconnect the secondary drives from the system so only the primary drive paired with the Intel® Optane™ Memory remains connected. The purpose of this is just to check if the issue is not caused by any of those secondary drives making some kind of conflict with the primary drive.

Regarding to the partitions on the primary drive, you can correct them by re-installing the OS. During the installation process, you can reserve as well the unallocated space required of at least 5MB at the end of the drive.

Before doing the OS re-installation, make sure to disable the module from the application first so it can be correctly de-concatenated from the drive before doing any other change. Once the OS is re-installed, you can enable the module again from the application if it was properly disabled beforehand.

I hope you find this information useful.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                    Diego V.

• 8. Re: Intel Optane creating boot problems
                      Atomicman456

Alright, I deleted the other recovery drive, but then I got this allocated space. I tried to extend the (C:) part, but it will only let me extend to the other 11 mb and not the 499 mb. So the 11 mb is just there with no use whatsoever.

• 9. Re: Intel Optane creating boot problems
                        Intel Corporation

Hi Atomicman456,

My recommendation is to format the drive and reinstall the OS so that all partitions are in order and the unallocated space is at the end.

Have you tried disconnecting the other secondary drives and see if the issue is still happening?

Regards,
                        Diego V.

• 10. Re: Intel Optane creating boot problems
                          Intel Corporation

Hi Atomicman456,

I’m just wondering if you have any updates about this.

Regards,
                          Diego V.

• 11. Re: Intel Optane creating boot problems
                            Atomicman456

I have just reset my pc and nothing has changed, apart from all the files that got deleted.

• 12. Re: Intel Optane creating boot problems
                              Intel Corporation

Hi Atomicman456,

Thank you for the information.

If you have reinstalled the OS in your primary drive, then the Intel® Optane™ Memory is not paired with the drive, correct?

Could you please run again the Intel® SSU to collect the current system information and take another screenshot of Disk Management too?

Have a nice day.

Regards,
                              Diego V.

• 13. Re: Intel Optane creating boot problems
                                Atomicman456

This is the new SSU info fule that I got, and I also sent the disk managment pic.

• 14. Re: Intel Optane creating boot problems
                                  Intel Corporation

Hi Atomicman456,

After checking the new Disk Management screenshot, I don’t see any difference in the partitions on the primary drive, so I’m wondering if you actually reinstalled the OS in the primary drive. If not, please explain what you meant when you said that you reset the PC because it looks like no changes were done.

I have just reset my pc and nothing has changed, apart from all the files that got deleted.

Note: Before reinstalling the OS, yo have to disable the Intel Optane Memory from the application.

On the other hand, did you try disconnecting the secondary drives to see if the behavior is still happening?

Regards,
                                  Diego V.

1 2 Previous Next